Rehab for fractured spine

I have "moderately large" disc hernias in L4 & L5 discs. But normally I have no pain, luckily.
* When I backpack I make sure about 85 - 90% of the pack weight is on my hips (waist belt). This, of course, requires a decent frame in the pack and a good padded hip belt. The newer hip belts tighten by pulling inward on the two belt straps because this is the easiest way to tighten them (as opposed to pulling outward). Some of the very best hip belts have two inward adjusting straps on each side so you can better adjust the belt to fit your hip structure. This is especially important for women's hips.

"Lift" straps at the top of your padded shoulder straps , running from the shoulder strap to the pack at or near the frame, help pull the top of the pack in toward your back on steep uphills or let it out to give you better balance on downhills.

Getting achey shoulders after a few hours on the trail? Learn to adjust your shoulder strap tightness, lift strap/pack angle and hip belt. A different adjustment in these locations will likely give you some relief from the previous adjustment.

Eric B.

I have "moderately large" disc hernias in L4 & L5 discs. But normally I have no pain, luckily.
* When I backpack I make sure about 85 - 90% of the pack weight is on my hips (waist belt). This, of course, requires a decent frame in the pack and a good padded hip belt. The newer hip belts tighten by pulling inward on the two belt straps because this is the easiest way to tighten them (as opposed to pulling outward). Some of the very best hip belts have two inward adjusting straps on each side so you can better adjust the belt to fit your hip structure. This is especially important for women's hips.

"Lift" straps at the top of your padded shoulder straps , running from the shoulder strap to the pack at or near the frame, help pull the top of the pack in toward your back on steep uphills or let it out to give you better balance on downhills.

Getting achey shoulders after a few hours on the trail? Learn to adjust your shoulder strap tightness, lift strap/pack angle and hip belt. A different adjustment in these locations will likely give you some relief from the previous adjustment.

Eric B.
I started going to physical therapy and I do back stretches everyday now for about 20 minutes a day and that has helped a lot. Even when I go to the range I do stretches. Some people look at me like I am crazy but the Army guys that go to my range and the middle age guys like me know whats going on and all agree it makes a difference. I have also discovered shooting prone helps out with my back. The orthopedist I am seeing says it's important for me to keep active and has suggested I go on a couple of back packing trips. I use to go all the time before I had kids. I think it is time to go again. My wife bought for me about a month ago some kind of Kuiu back pack and all though I haven't really messed a round with it yet it seems to be pretty light and well made. I'm just not sure if it is worth what she paid for it, but I won't say anything to her about it. It is the thought that counts. Now if I can just get my rifle's weight down without having to spend an arm and a leg.

I somehow, I'm not sure when or how, fractured my spine. I had a spinal fusion of my L4 and L5 about a year and a half ago. The doctor said the type of fracture I had could have happened about 25 years ago and that scar tissue kept the spine stable until in the last few years it started thinning out allowing the spine to shift and pinch my sciatic nerve causing extreme pain in my lower back and right leg.

So it was recommended by 3 different doctors to have a spinal fusion. I had the surgery at the end of December 2015. Because of the extensive nerve damage done in took more than six months to recover and I am still having some problems. My core strength weakened a lot and my ability to endure long periods of discomfort from walking and climbing have dwindled.

So I have decided to focus on strengthening my core and building my endurance back up. I want to do this in a way that builds my strength and endurance back to the levels I had before the surgery and to help build up my strength up over all so I can try to prevent sustaining another injury like the one I had that caused my spine to be injured.

My goal is to be able to go on long range back packing and hunting trips again. I am 42 and have a small son who I want to pass the tradition of hunting and practicing survival on my family's property in the hills and mountains in East Tennessee.

Can anyone recommend any exercises or routines that can help me accomplish my goals. Also as a result of the long period of inactivity after my surgery my right shoulder froze up and for the last year has had limited mobility. I have made progress with it and by this past deer season was able to climb the hills and hunt but I still have slight pain and I am not one that likes to take drugs for every little ache and pain.

Thanks and any suggestions would be appreciated.
43 here. I had the L5-S1 fused December of 2013 for a fractured L5. Almost lost my job due to the recovery time. We tried numerous conservative approaches prior to the fusion. It was a long hard road, but I made a full recovery. I've deadlifted 450 and squatted 400 since then, kickboxed, wrestled, and done jiu jitsu..

As some mentioned chiropractors can be good and bad. I found a great one that I trust and has never done me wrong. The same can be said with physical therapists. I had one that took such a light approach before my surgery that my back got way worse than when I started with him due to muscle atrophy.

Youtube Dr. Stu Mcgill ( ). The guy is a back pain wizard. As far as exercise, variations of planks are perfect. Youtube them. There are dozens. Don't do any twisting moves, crunches, or sit ups to start out with other than things that Dr. Mcgill or other vetted experts recommend.

I know this is kinda an older post but i just came across it. I am too a fusion survivor..(L4/L5/S1) My current state is better than before my surgery... sympton wise. But i also have Lumbar and Thoracic Stenosis and Arthritus its been seriously kicking my butt this entire past year.
I have hunted Idaho (Tex Creek) numerous times in the past successfully and plan to in the future, My son and i also have been buying WY point for Elk and Mule deer.
Losing all of any extra weight, physical therapy and training for hiking are now 1st priority. Hopefully i can get it done asap.
I told my son I will never again be in great shape, but i will be in the best shape i can get too.
It sucks

The main to remember is to start slow and never give up. I ruptured 2 disc in my neck in 2008, it was 6 months before I had spinal fusion surgery. I had a lot of nerve damage and muscle atrophy due to my spine shifting and putting pressure on my spinal cord. In January 2010 I decided to do something to get what I had back, so I joined a gym for the first time ever. It was a long painful road back, but after several months I started to get my strength and stamina back. Now I can do what ever I want pain free. I train 5 days a week, I go mountain hunting somewhere every fall, to treat myself for all the hours of training. No, I can't run as fast and am not as strong as I was before my injury, but I have more determination than ever.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.