Region F, Wyoming

SAPPER26

I will be hunting with my brother this fall in Region F in Wyoming. We have some ideas of where to go and are planning to hike in and hunt the high areas. I'm curious if anyone on this forum has had experience with this area and might give some pointers. I'll try to take at least 7 days leave during October, so time is somewhat limited. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SAPPER26

Have you hunted WY before? Are you a resident? What part of region F are you looking at ? In 07 I hunted sw of Cody in the
washakie wilderness. Most of that high country is wilderness that requires
a guide by law if your non resident. It is extremely rough, steep, and full of griz.
I'm serious about the griz. Be careful. They came to our camp every night.
The outfitter had dogs to chase them off. One of the guides had been mauled
a couple of years prior when one sneaked up on him up the mountain.
But that being said it is some of the most breathtaking country you can find>

Sorry for the late reply, just got back from the sandbox. I have hunted WY, and my brother lives in cody. We are aware of the griz problem in the area and will take precaution. My brother said he is able to get a guide permit which doesn't cost residents, so that will cover us if we go into wilderness. We will most likely hunt NW of cody in the Copper lake area. I know I'd October is warmer this year the mulies will be high, which we're counting on. We plan to hike in and spend 5 days or so until we can find a good one. We're getting some eberlestock packs to carry our rifles a little easier. If anyone has some keys to success for us that will hopefully allow me to go back to Kansas with a trophy, we would be greatly appreciative. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply. It sounds like you've got a few things covered anyway and plenty of time to work out other details. I'd like to know how your hunt turns out-
really. A whopper buck to hang on my wall is something high on my list also. I'd really like to know what you find where you're going. Is that unit 109 that your talking about?
I used a eberliestock X1 on my trip in the washakie and it worked fine when I was on foot but we did have horses for the major travel and packin out the meat. I had a good hunt on that one and got a 7x7 bull that scored 359. My best yet, probably I'll never get another like him. I'm real interested also on reports of the wolf impact on elk in that area.
Good huntin and keep us posted.:)

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.