regarding hunting with sierra match king and 300RUM

seems to me everyone who said they "penciled" right thru the deer all had behind the shoulder shots- lung hits. and yet desired results werent present? what do you expect? i've hit them behind the shoulder myself with bullets other than SMK's and they run off just the same. granted, they dont make it over 100 yards, but on a lung shot i'm not expecting to drop a deer. now, ask anyone who's touched a shoulder blade with a SMK what their results were. probably the same as a hornady or berger or ballistic tip- not a step further.

as said time and time before- shot placement is everything. you hit a shoulder, chances are they aint moving. hit a lung and they probably wont go far, but they're still gonna go some- regardless of what bullet you use. SMK kill just as well as anything else.

bottom line- use what you need to put the bullet where you want it. you do that, and you'll be alright.

-brian

I'm with Mountain Man. I use 200 grain SMK's out of a 300 Weatherby @ 2800 fps. I have had no trouble dropping deer in their tracks with this combo. I'm a shoulder shooter too. Most don't take one step.

bullet weight needs to be looked at as well. i can see a lighter bullet doing a good bit of damage to the lung area, but the SMK's i shoot in my 300rum are 220gr. i dont care if its a 220gr ballistic tip, i'm guessing a bullet that weight passing thru the lungs isnt going to open much, if at all- period. the ol' man uses the 107gr SMK's in his 243. most of what he shoots doesnt take too many steps regardless of where he hits. his lighter bullets dont hold up as well as mine. final outcome though? same thing. a deer down for every shot.

bullet placement works.

-brian

I'm not sure that you can lump all those bullets into the same terminal performance catagory.

I've hit whitetails in the shoulder with a Ballistic Tip launched from my STW and the bullet splattered all over the place and the deer kept going. Place the same bullet behind the shoulder and the deer OFTEN do a verticle drop. Now thats humane!
grin.gif

Oddly enough, even a 120gr Sierra Spitzer (from the STW) will drop a whitetail on his nose, but I would hate to have it hit any heavy bone.

There is a bullet for every purpose. We just need to choose wisely.

VH

Bullet weight point well taken. I can reduce the average whitetail at 400yds to a white blur in the scope with a 150gr SMK in 7mm dia,..but as I was hunting the permits with my match gun,..the 200gr SMK from the 300RUM was the fodder for the summer. I used the match load so as not to waste the competitive barrel life while working a load for a lighter pill. I am sure a 168gr SMK would perform extraordinarily at the closer ranges.

my barrels must be different. I have had no animal take a step when my balistic tips hit the lung,..heart, etc softer areas. I usually get a huge exit wound and obliterated internals. My shoulder shots with the SMK's were more successful,..but I don't expect to "have to" shoot a certain point. If my best shot offering is the lung area,..that's what I aim for. And as stated,..once they slowed up a bit,..they did perform with excellent results. My theory is that is the hollow point was opened up some,..the close range "pencil" observation would be non-existent.

Lol......."2900 yards for elk"? No 30 cal bullet has enough energy at 2900the yards to effectively hunt elk. That's reduliculous. I have shot many elk with many different weapons and I can tell you now that is a bunch of bull hockey. Now go ahead and argue...............

I plan of hunting with my 338 lapua and 300 SMK's. The MV is only 2700 FPS. I'll probably shoot a whitetail (I know 338 is overkill but I just got the gun!) and maybe moose if I draw a tag.

Any opinions on close range shots with this round??

I used a similar setup on a sheep hunt devastating wound channel shot was under 300 yds the 300 SMK is a great bullet

I exclusively shoot the 220 grain SMK out of my 300 RUM and have since 2001! I tried different weights and bullets, but this is what worked best for me. I am backing the SMK with 90 grains of H1000, federal 215M, Remington cases, and has an OAL of 3.6850! Muzzle velocity is 2775! I have had really great results with this load! Personal best was 3/4" group at 510yds with two touching!

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts