• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Redumbo

I'm sitting on 11 pds Retumbo, 12 pds of H1000, 12 pds RL26, 13 pds of N570 and a whole lot more of many and 23K primers. Way more than I can use before I die. I'm not interested in having to collect it again at higher prices. I've sold primers and powder from my cache to certain people I feel for that come into the store if we have nothing. I only charge them what I paid. Powders have price stickers on them. 2 young kids came in two days ago looking for powder and primers. I talked to them for awhile. They were very nice kids. I told them to come over to my house after work. I sold them 4 pds of powder. Gave them one pd. And 400 primers. I game them my old powder can collection , some unopened . 3 sets of old dies and an old reload manual. They were liking the old stuff a lot. I could of sold it online I'm sure let alone the powder. I just wanted to see it go to somebody that would appreciate it. I made $200. I was happy. They were thrilled and I made new friends. The one young man even said he's going to take me fishing with his dad on his boat 😁

gunbroker.com is an efficient way to get buyers and sellers together to buy/sell stuff at a price they both agree to. I'm all good with that part of the transaction. That's 100% legit.

The easy money you can make on gunbroker.com makes it easy to buy low and sell high, if you have the time, skills, or software to get the deals. With so many people able to make a quick buck, it can make it harder to find inventory on the shelves, or even online. I think there's enough of that going on to make it seem like there's even less supply then there really is. I think that's where gunbroker.com influences the regular supply and demand model. There's an extra middleman (100's or 1,000's of them) that's inserted themselves into the supply chain and it makes things less efficient. It's not just gunbroker.com. It's gunbroker.com, plus multiple other online sites, local online classifieds. Unfortunately, it's made it's way to this site as well. It's very likely these scalpers aren't legitimate, licensed, or insured businesses. They aren't paying taxes on their gains. It's very disruptive.

Last edited:
The "people willing to pay you top dollar for your home" is kind of a false analogy. A more accurate analogy would be; You live in a mountain town and a forest fire burnt down 3/4s of the houses in the town. You just happen to own two or more of the ones that didn't. A homeless family approaches you. Do you give it to them for free or a reduced price? Do you sell it to them at normal market value? Do you squeeze every last penny out of them you can get? What you do tells a lot about your character.

It's all panic buying. My 2c on this...
The big caliber guys should be able to get between 80 to 100 loads out of a pound of powder @ 50 gr , give or take. So my question is how many rounds do you shoot with the big caliber rifle? Load was developed last year. Zero gun this season with 5 rounds. How many rounds do you carry when hunting?
Gentlemen I'm not being disrespectful. Just doing a little math. Last calc I did on my.223 match loads at today's (GB) levels
I was at .77 cents/shot. It would not surprise me to find that JoBi is excessively taxing components
Thanks for listening!

It's all panic buying. My 2c on this...
The big caliber guys should be able to get between 80 to 100 loads out of a pound of powder @ 50 gr , give or take. So my question is how many rounds do you shoot with the big caliber rifle? Load was developed last year. Zero gun this season with 5 rounds. How many rounds do you carry when hunting?
Gentlemen I'm not being disrespectful. Just doing a little math. Last calc I did on my.223 match loads at today's (GB) levels
I was at .77 cents/shot. It would not surprise me to find that JoBi is excessively taxing components
Thanks for listening!
That's probably a generalization that doesn't work with the guns some of the people on this site shoot. Not your average site in and hunt group. "Big caliber guys" on this site use 80-150 grains of powder every time they pull the trigger. Heck, a 300 Win is going to be 70-80+grains per round. That's less than 100 rounds per pound (7,000 grains per pound of powder).

Last edited:
Wow. Sitting here with 9 lbs of Retumbo I don't want to sell, it is ridiculous to think that I could make possibly $1,600 or more off what I paid 7 months ago. The only reason powder is this expensive is people's "urgency" to buy right now. If everyone laid off buying for ONE month, then went back to "normal" purchasing procedures, this shortage would be gone. It is simply sad to see a 700% or more mark up on these products. It is simply shameful.
it is the same mentality as the paper toilet paper hoarders, probably many of the same people

Gents,

I started this thread to point out what hysteria does to the micro-economics of certain presently highly sought-after items (EG Retumbo). While my profile says I joined in 2019, the truth is that I have been reading posts on this and countless other forums for many years prior to that date. I don't say that to boast, rather to remind everyone that the ideas and comments posted here influence many more people than those participating in the conversation. That said, we can influence this market…

Ignoring market regulation etc…It gets fixed by more supply….which we really can't control….or less demand.

Regarding demand…..I recently came into a 28 Nosler. I would like to try Retumbo out, but I don't have any and I will not be part of the demand at these inflated prices, so I found some 7828ssc at a normal cost and went from there.

The sellers of items at >700% of the prices we are accustomed to cease to exist (or at least drastically reduce prices) in the absence of demand. The more we can influence folks (especially newer reloaders) to try a different load, be patient, shoot a different caliber, refuse to pay crazy prices on GB, deal on here at normal rates or even dare I say "just go ******* fishing" the better this gets.

The "people willing to pay you top dollar for your home" is kind of a false analogy. A more accurate analogy would be; You live in a mountain town and a forest fire burnt down 3/4s of the houses in the town. You just happen to own two or more of the ones that didn't. A homeless family approaches you. Do you give it to them for free or a reduced price? Do you sell it to them at normal market value? Do you squeeze every last penny out of them you can get? What you do tells a lot about your character.

That is the dumbest analogy I have heard yet. Crazy gun related item prices is not even close to what you just said. I do not understand the thought process of people saying that people are being taken advantage of. It's the current market prices. It sucks, I get it. I really do but no one is taking advantage of anyone if someone else is willing to pay that price. Thats how the world works.

You are not squeezing anything from anyone if they are bidding on it. Get over it, poeple are willing to pay stupid prices.

Again, I am not selling anything nor am I paying these stupid prices but I'm not mad at the people that are. I wish they wouldn't but I'm not angry at them for selling something they have to someone WILLING to pay for it.

AGAIN, comparing everyone's home burning down and you selling them your home at X times the value is the DUMBEST comparison I have heard yet. Not to mention that they are buying a new home with the insurance pay out. What house and how much it cost is again up to the buyer. Understand how this works yet??

You think selling gun powder and bullets for a high price (that they are willing to pay) is the same as the made up analogy you said?????.... Wow

I have been buying powder from websites for normal prices so I can sell it for what I payed for some friends that need it. I have the time to monitor the sites so I have been able to buy alot of powder in the last month at regular prices.

Last edited:
Important to remember that the value of any item is what another person is willing to pay. To most on this forum today's prices are insanity, but I'm sure the people that win these auction are satisfied with their purchases.

I reload a few hunting calibers for my son and I. My grandfather taught me long ago to do things right. To me that means when I decide to reload a particular caliber I go ahead and buy brass, primers, dies, bullets and 8# of powder. The older I get, the more I seem to value grandpa's words.

We can talk situational ethics, taking care of each other, price-gouging and such until we're blue in the face. It boils down to the supply-demand curve from economics 101. Prices naturally and predictably follow. My gut says most of this is irrational buying by people who won't really use the stuff. Eventually, the pendulum will swing back.

Part of this is driven by people who are no longer comfortable being a can of powder and box of bullets ahead of what they need. We've probably all increased our par-level.

I say if you have extra put it on gun broker anyone willing to pay those prices is a fool and I don't think I wanna be around them with a loaded firearm anyway
On the other hand I think it's great that we can help out one another from this sight that is the type of people I like seeing own a gun