Reducing loads and still overpressure

Do you trim your brass? How much neck clearance do you have? Could be carbon buildup around the neck or brass getting too long for the chamber.

Lots of great responses guys. I have cleaned the crap out of this barrel right down to steel. My reduced load is still baging steel with the same inputs ive used for the higher charge weight out to passed 1000. So ill just take it i guess and save myself 2 grains of N570 on each shot!

I really ca

Shawnb, I see you have resigned to shooting at a lower charge weight. Also see you've cleaned your barrel down to bare steel.

Now how about that chamber?

if you're using a bore guide during cleaning, you may not be getting the carbon buildup in the neck area off. If/when carbon builds up in this area sufficiently, the brass neck doesn't expand sufficiently to release the bullet. Higher pressures result.

Take a bore mop on a short (about 12") section of that crappy piece together cleaning rod, pour some Boretech C4 carbon remover on it, insert it snugly in chamber, twist and work back and forth then remove and look for black. If it's there, you'll know.
Takes a while for it to build up in this area because not much gasses leak back between the case neck and chamber before the neck brass seals it off.

Making sure your brass is properly trimmed is another good suggestion.

Lots of great responses guys. I have cleaned the crap out of this barrel right down to steel. My reduced load is still baging steel with the same inputs ive used for the higher charge weight out to passed 1000. So ill just take it i guess and save myself 2 grains of N570 on each shot!

It sounds like you are good to go with the reduced load. But, am curious as to how many rounds you have on the barrel.

Last edited:
It sounds like you are good to go with the reduced load. But, am curious as to how many rounds you have on the barrel.

Hi all, bringing this one back to life. I had been cleaning my rifle with butches boreshine and it had worked pretty good. I decided to switch it up based off lots of good reviews and try boretech c4. Cant say enough good things about it. I cleaned with the boretech right after i cleaned with butches and was amazed at the amount of carbon that came out. My bottles of butches are now 10 years so maybe that played into it?

But i pushed a couple wet patches through, let soad for an hour, couple more wet patches then scrubbed. After scrubbing a couple wet patched and left for a few more hours and final dry patches came out clean

I started loading to back to where i was originally at 80.5gr and its butter smooth extraction and no over pressure anymore.

I had some of the 78.5gr loads left over and some new 80.5 loads and went to the mountains. 78.5 was corrected to 2880fps and my 80.5 was bang on with the original 2950fps.

So give that stuff a try. Its worth it!

Here my 100 yard taget working up from 78.5 to 80.5

There 8 shots total. My hand isnt covering holes dont worry. Just making the paper flat haha.

Attachments

• 20190710_192650.jpg
    20190710_192650.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 95
Dont forget to Lube the bolt cam. Glad you found the problem.

I was thinking the case head had expanded a lot and sticking in the chamber.

I know I'll be stepping in a big pile of doo doo here, but I haven't found anything, and I do mean anything that will clean carbon, powder residue, or copper as quickly and effortlessly as the BoreTech products.

I've been at this a while, and I've run my course with everything else. I was even sold on and committed to another product when Jason at Bruno's said hey, give this a try. After using BoreTech, I'll never go back to anything else. Yeah, ya gotta get some of their brushes, yeah, it's counterintuitive to not have to scrub like the dickens, but seriously. Results are results. The only barrels I ever even consider breaking the brushes out on now are my factory "chatter barrels" LOL!!
On those rougher factory barrels, I usually start with BoreTech Carbon remover, 4 wet patches, wait 20, brush with drenched proof positive nylon brush (caliber specific) about 30 strokes, wait 20, wet patch 4 times, if no black on last patch, switch to BoreTech Eliminator, and repeat the above process.
All my custom rifles clean up within the first 8 patches and no brush, but then I clean after every outing, too.

Only time I've used BoreTech C4 product or BoreTech cu+2, is when I first started cleaning with BoreTech and my rifles were a mess, and when I get a new to me used rifle.

Happy it worked out for you, shawnb.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.