Redfield

midmo

I know it is nothing fancy but I bought a Redfield Revenge 4x12x42 when I was in school on a budget. Are these junk? I haven't had any problems but I don't ever hear about them good or bad. I am slowly upgarding my rifle and I am trying to figure out what I need to do next. I am looking into rings and bases and scope or a new stock.

Thanks

I've known a couple guys with them and they are not bad scopes. My cousin had one on a .308 when he first got into long range and he shot it all the way out until he ran out of adjustment. Great scope to start with and learn on.

What kind of rifle do you have and what are you goals for it?

I have a Remington 700 in .30-06. It is an ADL but I have a added a Timney 510 trigger. My goal is to be able to use this rifle on any hunt I go on across the country. I do have bdl bottom metal to covert when I purchase a new stock.

I have a Remington 700 in .30-06. It is an ADL but I have a added a Timney 510 trigger. My goal is to be able to use this rifle on any hunt I go on across the country. I do have bdl bottom metal to covert when I purchase a new stock.
Nice rifle! The .30-06 can do everything you want with the right load and the right range. I have an old ADL in .270 that I got when I was 11. One of my favorite rifles. I would save your money up and get a good mount or set of rings and a good base. Then save up for a little better scope for long range. What you have now is a great start. Just practice and practice. If you don't have them already, get a good bipod or nice front rest and some rear bags. Start shooting some distance and practice quick dial up and wind reading.

Do you reload?

Yes I do reload and I have a few different powders. I only load for my 06. What would be a good base and ring set?

Cool, there are a lot of good loads you can work up in your .30-06, check out the 208gr ELD-M. They start out slow, but sure carry their energy and velocity way out there.

I like the DNZ one piece tactical mounts, but I also like the EGW 20 MOA base and there are a few good options for rings. Some cheaper rings to look at are Weaver Grand Slam and Weaver Tacticals, some mid level rings that I like are the Leupold PRW rings, Burris Signature Zee rings, and Burris Xtreme Tactical. Some of the best top dollar rings include Vortex Precision Matched rings, Nightforce, and Seekins. There are a lot of options. A good set of rings and an EGW base is going to run you around $100. I will link a good setup down below for you to check out.

Leupold PRW (Permanent Weaver-Style) Rings Matte

EGW 1-Piece Picatinny-Style 20 MOA Elevated Base Remington 700 Matte

Vortex single 3 screw tactical. You have to buy 2 as they aren't a set. Made in China but 3 screw and decent mounting screw. $19.99X2.

morning, in early years, redfield scopes were top of the line. I have

3-6x18x40 and 1-4x12x40 redfield scopes still mounted on weapons I use. I've

had the scopes serviced.lightbulb:)gun) Thk. U

Well I ended up getting the prw rings and a Leupold one piece long range base. It is only 15 moa. Now the rings and he base are both steel. I hope this was a good choice. I went to look at scopes and I really liked the vortex hst lr. But it will be a while before I can get one.
I'm new to elevated bases. I should able to make closer shot like 100 yards right?

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.