Redfield Widefield 6-20

Snow leopard

Hi Im Snow leopard up in N.H. & last fall I picked up a couple old stock new in box redfield widefield illuminator scopes. I more than like the old redfields as I own about 18 widefields but when I unboxed these and checked them over I noticed the windage and elevation knobs were different than anything I had seen before.The turrets are tall and there is an outer ring scale 0-12 that turns the entire turret. Inside that there is a more familiar dial that is set up in 1/8" moa increments. The outer , turns 1-3/4 turns total so you would basically get 0-21 if it had the # 's to do so. My question is what are the values of the 0-12 scale? If it is moa then that means on a 6-20 scope I only have 10.5 elev. moa usable??? That does not seem correct? Also once sighted I do not see how to return dials to 0 ?No lift & turn ....screws in small scale?Help!

Attachments

• 23872223-065F-4BEF-9E91-C64BBEB26E01.jpeg
    23872223-065F-4BEF-9E91-C64BBEB26E01.jpeg
    35.9 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
I dont know the answer to this but can you turn the top slotted dial separately without the main turret moving?

Correct the outer turret is set up in 4 moa increments and the smaller inner dial is set up in 1/8 moa increments the small inner has two small screws that look like they may be used to zero that scale once sighted but I do not see a way to zero the larger turret .Also you have to use the larger in 4 moa or 8 or 12 you cannot stop say where the 6 would be there is no detent to keep it there . The way this all sets up is it looks like I only have 16 moa usable up from 0, 12 on the larger turret and 4 total in the 1/8 increment dial, does that sound right for a 6x-20x ? Sorry for all the questions but I have been shooting & hunting all my life but am now just getting into long range rifles & shooting.
0DEB8E41-7A83-47FB-8ED1-1153BA6A2D0F.jpeg
7D83EAAD-62B5-49B7-8A9C-7AD151A9A065.jpeg
7D83EAAD-62B5-49B7-8A9C-7AD151A9A065.jpeg

Last edited:
Thank you ! My question hasn't been up that long and I have (I think) received enough info that the outer turret goes in 4 moa increments and the inner is 1/8 moa . Now my dilemma is how to zero the scope after the rifle has been sighted. There is a zero point on the outer turret but it is absolute zero (all the way down).Maybe thats all there is , There does not seem to be many familiar with this scope , too bad optics are awesome even to todays standards!

Welcome from Alabama!
I only have one old Redfield and it's not as strong as yours.
I believe Leupold resurrected the Redfield line, at least for a while. Maybe they can help with your question?

This was actually an Illuminator 6-20x made in Japan but I think they were still using American Optical glass as I have been told? No expert! & Yes the older hunting Colorado scopes just had an outer ring with a notch around the adjustment screw that could be turned to the new "0" position . While you are here & sporting a Redfield , I hear alot in these forums that the old Redfields should be thrown away because there is no warrantee and new glass is so much better. I also own Leupolds and would put any of my widefields up against them and if you are not sure if it is good ~ Ironsight Co. https://ironsightinc.com/ will refurb almost any Redfield for around $100 ! Short money for a nice refurbed Widefield or regular Redfield.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.