Redfield Accu-Range ?

topbrass

Does anyone know how to range using the new Redfield Revolution 4-12 with the Accu-Range reticule?

What are the subtension and at what power?

Thanks

Check here,
Redfield Accu-Range Cartridge Groups
After reading the page I don't beleave the new scope is set up for ranging. Beleave it is just a Ballistic Drop compensator. The old style scope from the Vietnam era you had two stadia in the scope and you put the cross hairs on the top of the target and dialed the magnification until the bottom one covered 18 inches, on a deer top of back to bottom of brisket. You then read the range from the scale in the lower left quadrant of the scope.

Last edited:
I have been all over the place on Leupold and Redfield web sites and cannot find out much at all about the specs.

I have seen the chart, and I have a Redfield Revolution with Accu-Range sitting on a Savage .308/7mm-08/.243. It is amazing that they do not show a .308 on the chart.

Also I have written Redfield twice about what .308 load they are shooting in the 500yd demo video on their web site. I usually shoot 175gr SMK and it does not fit the ballistic curve of any of the rounds listed. They are probably using a 150 gr spitzer, but I dont know. And probably wont ever find out from Redfield.

I was hoping to save a bit of time and ammo by finding some specs. But it looks like I will have to go out and shoot to 500 yds to see what is going on at each distance.

Anyone know of any reviews or articles? I have found a few but most of them are straight out of the Redfield web site.

Does anyone know how to range using the new Redfield Revolution 4-12 with the Accu-Range reticule?

What are the subtension and at what power?

Thanks

I read somewhere that the subtensions are the same as the Leupold LR reticle. Leupold would be the one's to call on this, since they're marketing the Redfield line now. It's not a problem rangefinding with it really, once the subtensions at any given distance are known. In fact ballistic reticles provide an excellent system for rangefinding. Look here for an explanation on how to apply a ballistic reticle for rangefinding--

www.ottllc.com/specialtypistols/sp20.pdf Item C) Reticle Rangefinding

Last edited:
I read somewhere that the subtensions are the same as the Leupold LR reticle. Leupold would be the one's to call on this, since they're marketing the Redfield line now. It's not a problem rangefinding with it really, once the subtensions at any given distance are known. Look here for an explanation on how to apply a ballistic reticle for rangefinding--

www.ottllc.com/specialtypistols/sp20.pdf Item C) Reticle Rangefinding

What LR reticle? How are the subtensions the same?

Top--better check it at the range though to be sure. I've seen the Burris Ball. Plex reticle that was off from the advertised plex post tip subtensions. I've found that 12x is hard to measure at 100 yds. though. U'll probably have to go to 50 and double the measurements.

I always do. But the gun club only has 200 yds and is 12 minutes from my house. So I will zero it at 200. Then when I go to my lease which is an hour away, I will run it out to 500, before taking on an army of pigs.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.