Redfield Accu-Range Scopes

Dan McCarty

Does anyone have information and opinions on Redfield Accu-Range scopes? If one is mounted on a .243 Win., will it work from PDs to deer over the effective range (say 500 yards for PD's and a couple of hundred for deer) of this round? Is the technology too old? Will anyone (Blount, etc.) repair them? What price would you pay? Thank you very much for your comments.

Dan McCarty, Newbie

I have seen these scope around and believe I may have owned one for a few days.

Redfield scopes seem to be good quality so I'd guess this one would be fair too.

Here's a little blurb I liberated from another web site, it covers a bit on the cams and sighting in.

(It was stuck in the middle of a rather long page, so rather than pointing to it I copied it here.)

"In a nutshell using this scope is a matter of centering the animal you are hunting between the two horizontal cross hairs. This centering is done with the power selector knob. You can then figure out the range to the animal by the distance uncovered in the optical view of the scope. If memory serves me, I believe the horizontal crosshairs are calibrated for the body size of a large deer. If the animal is centered between the horizontal lines and "600" is showing on the view for the distance, then the animal is about 600 yards away.
The elevation turret is then dialed to the estimated range. (The gun must be originally sighted in with the knob set to the "0" location ) If everything is estimated correctly, then you can shoot directly to point of aim on the animal.
Did you get all the turret knobs that originally came with the gun? The proper knob for the caliber of the gun must be on the gun. The original paperwork that comes with each scope lists the different turrets and what caliber's they go with. I do not know of any source for extra knobs or the paperwork at present if yours are missing."

As to it's effectiveness on PD's at 50-0 yards, I'd say you'd need the correct cam and a system to calibrate the PD size to the scope. For deer at a "couple of hundred" yards, hold dead-on and shoot using a 200 yard zero (1.5 to 2 moa up).

I know there are folks that work on all types of scopes, but Blount may not be interested.

I don't have any idea on value/worth.

Thanks very much, this helps. My plan is be as consistent as possible in reloading, rifles, scopes, technique, etc. as possible in seeking accuracy, especially as the range increases. The best solution, perhaps, is to have one rifle and shoot it well, but there is enjoyment in owning multiple rifles. If you want more than one, you need to seek consistency. Because I own a couple of Widefield scopes and have a chance to buy the Accu-Range, I felt that it might fit the consistency strategy. Maybe what is important is the reticle, not the housing, and to estimate range with other optics. Comments and suggestions desired.

If you have any problems whatsoever with your Redfield scope - I have a wonderful new 3-9x50 Accu-Range - then just ring 'em and 99.9999999999% they'll fix it for free. A friend on the GunsLot forum bought his at a garage sale and it was crook and third-hand and not twelve year but more than fifteen years old and they couldn't fix it so they sent him a new one. If any company can better that then I'd like to hear it.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.