Redding Titanium nitrite bushings worth the money?

Do you guys use the Redding Titanium nitrite bushings that Sinclair's sell or the standard bushings for the type S resizing dies? They are almost twice the money and I just want to know if they are worth it or is it snake oil.

Steve

I don't use them. I place Imperial wax on the case necks and just use the standard bushings, which are hardened. I don't think you'll ever wear the standard bushings out and there would be no functional difference - In My Opinion.

I use nothing but TiNitrided bushings because I do not care to lube brass I've already cleaned(before putting in any die). Yes they cost more, and yes they are worth it (to me).

Steve,

I have, and use, both. I think there's some advantage to the TN bushings if you're doing neck sizing, and want to avoid the use of lube. I tend not to buy the TN versions anymore, simply because I so rarely use just neck sizing. Usng the Type-S FL bushing dies, I have to lube anyway, so there's really no point to the TN for me now. I will also add, as I mentioned elsewhere, that I do lube straight-walled pistol cases to be processed in carbide dies, simply because it makes the passage so much easier. I use very little lube here, nothing more than trace amounts really, but it does make the cycling much easier. I'd probably be inclined to do the same on TN bushing dies and pure neck sizing, should I go that route again. Your call here. I should add, however, that after extensive use, I have seen the TN coating chip or flake off. Took a BUNCH of rounds to reach that point, but I have seen it.

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

I must be in the over cautious group because I use lube on everything. I just use less on the stuff that says it doesn't need it at all.

I agree 100% with Kevin, everything seems to cycle so much smoother with a little lube. I don't load thousands of rounds at a sitting so wiping it off with a rag and some cleaner is no big deal for me.

IMO a touch of lube is easier on the brass the dies and me. Most of my bushings are TN also.

Thank for the input guys.

I was unaware that you didn't have to lube with the TiNitrite coated bushings and that this was the main advantage for them. I am full length resizing so I have to lube anyway.

Do you see much reduced effort in resizing the brass using the coated bushings with lube versus the non coated bushings and lube?

Steve

Last edited:
I use the Ti bushings in all of my dies. I originally used them without the lube but Redding told me that they recommend using a little lube for maximum consistency even with the Ti bushings.

Whether the Ti bushing is worth the extra money or not is like asking if the expensive motor oil is worth the extra money - Who knows :D:rolleyes::D

Do you see much reduced effort in resizing the brass using the coated bushings with lube versus the non coated bushings and lube?

Steve

You'll never know the difference in resistance on the press handle. Redding recommends lube on the TN bushings anyhow to minimize the stress and strains on the case neck, which might help reduce runout.

Buy the regular ones, since you're FL sizing anyhow. I've got 15 of these bushings. Saved $180 by buying the plain Jane version. My lubed case necks never knew the difference.

Buy the regular ones, since you're FL sizing anyhow. I've got 15 of these bushings. Saved $180 by buying the plain Jane version. My lubed case necks never knew the difference.

That's exactly what I wanted to know. The difference in price for 1 is no big deal but when you start acquiring bushings for multiple calibers the price difference between the 2 starts adding up fast.

If I lube the cases anyway I don't think the difference could be measured to justify the extra cost.

Thank you,
Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts