Redding S type bushing dies? Using 243 Ackley with 224 sizer bushing?

Rugerjim

Hey guys, I've never used a type S bushing die. But I'm wondering can I use a 243 Ackley type S die with a 224 bushing to make 22-243 Ackley brass? I have heard this is fine. I am not sure what pin or bushing size to buy though. I do ream my necks with a wilson neck reamer 220 which is about .2260 after reaming fired case. Can anyone help me out here? Thanks team.
RJ

Yes you can, go slow and use some lube on the necks.
I've done the same thing alot on 223 case to neck down to 20 cal for a 20 Practical.
If you can find a bushing say a 262 to do it in 2 steps that will work also.

Does the reamed neck hold a .224" bullet? If you fired the rounds before neck reaming? The neck reaming may not be needed? Outside neck turning may be better.

Stop till you understand the process.

Or i am confused on your method of fire forming?

Last edited:
Bushings are generally not the best for reducing the neck diameter of a case from one diameter to another. That info came directly from Redding. I used a Redding 22-243 FL die to neck down my 243 Lapua cases before fireforming to the AI configuration.

I'd add that I found fireforming loads to be very accurate and used them to shoot fat PA groundhogs.

Bushings are generally not the best for reducing the neck diameter of a case from one diameter to another. That info came directly from Redding. I used a Redding 22-243 FL die to neck down my 243 Lapua cases before fireforming to the AI configuration.

I'd add that I found fireforming loads to be very accurate and used them to shoot fat PA groundhogs.
Hey mate yeah thank you. Seemed like forever to get a 22-243 AI sizer from anywhere. I'm necking down with a 22 Creedmoor FL sizer atm which works well. From then on I after fireforming I was going to use a 243AI FL Type S die with a .252 Bushing which is 1 thou smaller than the loaded case. Sound ok?

That is essentially what I've done for several years.

Enjoy the 22-243AI, its a bit addictive. If you have a heavy enough barrel you can set it back after a 1,000 rounds and start over. LOL
Done just that big fella. My gunsmith litterally just messaged me... "So I just bought a middlestead reamer." Ughg, I'll have a chance to try both now I suppose.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts