Redding or hornady dies?

I only use Redding dies but then again I don't have any experience with Hornady dies other than 300 blackout.

It's funny none have mentioned Wilson dies. I have a full length bushing die for my 6.5 prc and it works great. By far the smoothest feeling die I've used. Clean polished lapua brass comes out looking the same. it reliably bumps the shoulder back and works the necks very little compared to standard full length dies with an expander.

x2 on the wilson FL bushing die. am using it in 6.5CM and seating bullets with redding master hunter die with the micrometer on top. the redding master hunter FL die was really over working the necks, sqeezed them way way down and then was almost impossible to pull the expander out so I took it out and used a 21st century expander mandrel, but really needlessly overworked the brass, this led me away from redding somewhat. can't go wrong with a wilson fl sizing die.

x2 on the wilson FL bushing die. am using it in 6.5CM and seating bullets with redding master hunter die with the micrometer on top. the redding master hunter FL die was really over working the necks, sqeezed them way way down and then was almost impossible to pull the expander out so I took it out and used a 21st century expander mandrel, but really needlessly overworked the brass, this led me away from redding somewhat. can't go wrong with a wilson fl sizing die.
Wilson are great dies but the Redding Type S bushing die would have done the exact same thing.

I've been reloading for about a year now. Im a Full length resizer. I have several sets of dies, mostly Hornady custom series. About to buy another set for a 280 ackley improved and am wondering what you guys think of the difference between Redding and Hornady die quality is. I'm not a prs or mile shooter. But I am a hunter looking to produce accurate loads. Not looking to spend $200 plus on a set of dies(not that there is anything wrong with that). I think I've narrowed it down to the Hornady custom series or Redding basic set.
What do you guys think? Am I missing something by not going to a higher end die? The dies with separate bushings to set neck tension and some of that stuff kind of intimidates me because I dont know how to use them. Am I missing out on something not using them? Thanks in advance
From a hunting stand point I see no issues with Hornady dies, I would and have picked them over RCBS and Lee dies. The Premium dies , Redding, Forster, Wilson are more geared towards Long range (500yrds + ) and bench shooters IMO. Hornady dies properly set up will produce excellent Ammo.

I own both Hornady , Forester Micrometer, and Redding Micrometer / Bushing dies. I've used RCBS and switched to Hornady. The Only Lee dies I use are their collet neck dies, and factory crimp both are well worth the money. My opinion comes from first hand experience, but to each their own.

Take the time to develop the load your gun likes, be diligent with case prep and loading technique. IMO that will be far more important that if you used $50 Hornady dies or $400 Redding ones when it comes to hunting loads.

Now if you're shooting PRS or at extreme distance this is where the money spent on premium dies can pay off, but only if the gun, load and shooter are up to the task. Redding Dies alone will not get you sub MOA groups at 800 yrds.

M.

Last edited:
Bare in mind all of my rifles are 100% factory save for trigger improvements.
Both my 308Win and 300wsm shoot sub moa. My 100% factory 308 shoots in the .7" with factory ammo and .5" and .4" with sorted Winchester brass am excited to see what it will do with Lapua brass.
I use a combination a Redding body only sizing die, then a Lee Collet fallowed by a 21st Century mandrel to set neck tension. I use if possible either a Redding or Forester micrometer adjustable bullet seater for all my BN cartridges.
I have the members here to thank for this knowledge.

I use Norma and Hornady brass in my 300wsm and replaced my Winchester brass with Lapua in my 308win.
So impressed am I with the improvement in consistent accuracy if at all possible the above dies are all I use when reloading bottle necked cartridges.

Unfortunately Redding doesn't make MMBS dies or BOSD for all the cartridges I reload for nor does Forester.
For them I use a combination of Redding FL dies, seating dies, 21st Century mandrels and Lee Collet dies.
Again very happy with my results.

Last edited:
Only green sets on my shelf. I do own a set of hornady dies but after using some of the bullet holder and getting some non uniform brass that took about a week to figure out I stick with the 2 green options. My Hornady shell holder was about 5tho different from one side to the other. Also the hornady neck turner is junk for producing uniform case necks. Waste of good money. I will use there brass and a few other gadgets but it's really put a regret of buying some of there products. Just my experience.