Redding Model 2400 Case Trimming Lathe Review

ADMIN

Administrator
In today's world of reloading and shooting, there are so many different products on the market that it's hard to choose what product will best suit your needs. I wanted a case trimmer that I could set easily and accurately without a bunch of trial and error, but that would be reliable and accurate enough to meet my accuracy needs. I also wanted a trimmer that could trim different cases and that could return to any case length quickly and easily. The Redding 2400 Case Trimming Lathe does just that.
Read More...
This is a thread for discussion of the article, Redding Model 2400 Case Trimming Lathe Review, By Marty Dabney. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

from my experiance the redding is a better trimmer.the REDDING has the universal,adjustable case collet as the rcbs has interchangeable hell holders that tend to hold the case a little off center.and even if you buy the RCBS kit withthe shell holders that come with it are only nubmbers 2,3,4 and 10.so if you want to load say the short mags or ultra mags you would have to buy different shell holders.also,the cutter on the RCBS will not stay sharp as long as the REDDING so you will have to replace the cutter more often.a few good ponts about the RCBS.one is the option of buying a 3 way cutter that chamfers and deburrs the case at one time.also,there is an option to purchase a power adapter that allows you to hook up a drill to run the trimmer.i havn't used this option but i have heard that this has a tendency to strip out after a few hundred cases.now the rcbstrimmer kit is about 50 dollars cheaper but after you buy the extra shell holders you need and replace the cutting head several times before the redding.so in my opinion the redding is a better case trimmer in termsof accuracy and dependability. thanks,marty

Last edited:
As I'm still undecided which trimmer to get, I have since read up on this one - and seen their utube video: WILSON STAINLESS MICRO TRIMMER & PLATFORM KIT, by Sinclair.
Anybody out there with any experience? I can't find anybody on their web page that has sent in any 'reviews', which makes me wonder why..........

I'd like to add a bit to the description in as much as I hav one as well. I bought mine prior to this article being posted and I bought mine because I like the repeatability of a micromter stop as wll as the split collet (no shell holders) and the concentricity of the collet arrangment. Collets and concentricity go hand in hand, why most precision turning in the shop is done in collets.

I've trimmed a couple thousand casses with mine with no issues except.....

You need to apply a little grease or heavy oil to the rotating spindle before you use it for the first time and therafter, every couple hundred cases. I'm still on my original trimmer. I'd expect it to last indefinitely. It is hardened tool steel and you are cutting soft brass afterall.

I tend only to use the micrometer head for th final adjustment.. Instead I set the COAL with calipers and use the micromter head for the final dimension..

I have the power adapter spindle on mine. The hand crank works for a few at a time cases but will develop a blister on your hand if you do any volume. Don't use a drill motor to power the unit, use a power screwdriver. Drill motors have too much power and will quickly cause the spindle to loose it's accuracy. The power screwdriver has plenty of suds to trim cases.

Finally, mount the trimmer on a wooden block or plywood sheet to give it stability. I have mine screwed to a rectangle of MDX that I clamp to my workbench.

Mine holds repeatable dimensions within 0.001 no issue.

It's a well made casting (no cheap sheet metal) and should outlast you with a little care.

thanks for the input.i still use this trimmer since i wrote this article and still love it.i never converted it to electric drive but i get by with it.i usually trim 50-300 cases at a time and it gets tiring but its not everyday.also,after the 3 years that i've used mine it has retained it's accuracy.gun)

thanks for the input.i still use this trimmer since i wrote this article and still love it.i never converted it to electric drive but i get by with it.i usually trim 50-300 cases at a time and it gets tiring but its not everyday.also,after the 3 years that i've used mine it has retained it's accuracy.gun)

Just trying to add some credibility to your review, moreso than you already had going.

You need to mechanize yours with the power drive adapter (12 bucks at Midway) and a power screwdriver like the B&D that Lowes sells for 18 bucks. It makes life so much easier.

It's worth every penny of the asking price, like all Redding products.

Keep some oil on the spindle and it shoud retain it's accuracy until you give it to your kids.....

After about 500 5.56 LC's I have a blister on my palm from the knurled knob but with a power screwdriver I have none. I keep the screwdriver plugged into the recharger all the time I'm using it, that way it keeps on running.

This is a thread for discussion of the article, Redding Model 2400 Case Trimming Lathe Review, By Marty Dabney. Here you can ask questions or make comments about the article.

I just got mine about two weeks ago, I guess the 2400 is better than the rest but I still can't get it to trim square with in .002 on 9mm I hope it does better with .223 and other bottle necks I plan to reload ...
Pretty much tried everything I know to correct the problem, any Idea's ??

I purchased the Redding 2400 micrometer trimmer some years ago I guess when they first came out with it. I had a lot of problems with it and ended up purchasing the sinclair micrometer unit.

I had all the pilots to trim everything I needed. Most of the difficulties were with the universal collet and inconsistent trim lengths. The cutter got dull and would cause the cutter head to tighten and change the length of trimmed cases. Then I would have to remove the cutter head with pliers.

I took my case to Redding and they stated that nickle plated cases caused the cutter head to get dull and offered to sharpen for a fee.

I have been very satisfied with Redding everything (nearly all of my reloading equipment) excluding this trimmer. I am very happy with the Sinclair unit.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

I finally sold mine (on here as a matter of fact for a little morr than half what I paid for it. I could never get it to cut consistently (within 0.01). It wandered all the time.

I've since got a WFT which I'm much more happy with. A bit of a PITA to set but very consistent.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.