Redding Match Dies - Which ones?

Skinny Shooter, full-length sizing dies have neck diameters small enough to reduce a fired case neck much smaller than a loaded round's neck diameter. Then the expander ball enlarges the neck enough to tightly hold a bullet.

Use a hole micrometer and measure the neck diameter of a 30 caliber full-length sizing die; it'll be about .330-inch or thereabouts. Next measure the neck of a 30 caliber round for that die; it'll be around .338-inch. A full-length sizing die's neck is always smaller than the neck of a loaded round.

So, lapping out a full-length sizing die's neck to a few thousandths smaller than a loaded round can be done. It's been done by many people. Such dies make much straighter sized cases than when an expander ball is used.

More info on lapping out die necks.....

Remove the decapping rod/pin and expander ball from a full-length sizing die, then full-length size a case. Compare the sized case neck outside diameter to that of a loaded round.

This shows the difference in diameters I was talking about. With most cartridges, the difference is several thousandths of an inch.

Cartridge brass is springy; case necks spring back a bit after sizing. Try putting your expander ball back in a case mouth you've full-length sized and you'll see what I mean. A 30 caliber expander ball of about .307-inch diameter leaves the 30 caliber case mouth about .306-inch diameter.

[ QUOTE ]
Skinny Shooter, full-length sizing dies have neck diameters small enough to reduce a fired case neck much smaller than a loaded round's neck diameter. Then the expander ball enlarges the neck enough to tightly hold a bullet.
So, lapping out a full-length sizing die's neck to a few thousandths smaller than a loaded round can be done. It's been done by many people. Such dies make much straighter sized cases than when an expander ball is used.

[/ QUOTE ]
Now that makes sense to me and I'm pickin' up what you're laying down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Forgot about that reduction in ID that the die normally does (whoops). Sounds like an idea to try sometime.
What about just using a bushing FL die to get the same effect? And, couldn't you lap a bushing easier than the neck in a FL die?

Bart,
Thanks for that info. I can see where what you are saying makes sense, as well. I recently read an article by Richard Franklin of Richard's Custom Rifles in Vinton, VA, about his favorite 6mmAI 1000-yd. groundhog gun that he uses. This rifle has a BAT action with a 27" Krieger barrel. However, he said he went with the standard .274 no-turn neck because the extra aggrevation of a tight neck did not give him the added accuracy to be worth it. I hope to be able to get DocEd to put my 'hog rifle together for me this coming Spring. As I previously stated, it will be a 6mmAI and I plan on going with the no-turn neck on it.

As I stated previously, this long-range / precision stuff is new to me. But I've got one thing figured out for sure & certain already - I got one heck of a lot to learn!!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.