Redding Competition Shellholders

Thanks Mike! So... I won't size the brass until it stops chambering smoothly.
What about trimming?
Can I set up my Redding Type S FL Sizing Die to neck?.. or just get a Neck sizing die?

Bitis Arietans

When you read postings you need to know who the die hard neck sizers are and who are the good looking, smart and modest full length resizers. :)

You can full length a once fired case and make it longer with your Redding competition shell holders.

In the image below the last few thousandths of upward movement of the ram starts pushing the shoulder back.

This is why Redding tells you to start with the +.010 competition shell holder and work downward with the lower numbered shell holders. (.008, .006, 004, .002)

The only time you might have a problem is if you have a skinny chamber and a fat die. Meaning a die that does not reduce the case body enough to squeeze the shoulder forward.

Don't worry, you can play with your die and competition shell holders and not go blind. ;)

wm05ArY.gif

Signed bigedp51
Good looking, smart and very modest. :rolleyes:

STOP NECK SIZING YOUR BRASS!!!!

Below click on the image to enlarge, and also enlarge your mind. ;)

Y3IiYL5.jpg

Last edited:
Big E...
I really don't know about the "good looking" ...but you're smart and modest for sure!
Watched a most of the videos...and learned quite a bit...Thank you
I have some work to do, for sure.

Thanks ALL for your replies, much appreciated!

Good Day, All
I've pick up the Redding Competition Shell Holders Set. Loading for 7MM Rem Mag (Sako 85 Finnlight)
I'm trying to minimize should bump (to .002", or so) As I understand it the .010 holder (.010" deeper, than the standard shell holders, that are usually .0.125") will allow the case to travel into the Sizing die (Redding Type S) less, and reduce the shoulder bump.

The instructions with the new holders recommend that you start by using the deepest holder (.010"0 first; size the case and attempt to chamber the cartridge. If it wont chamber, or chambers with difficulty...use the .008 and so on.

Surprisingly, after sizing with the .010 holder the round still chambers! It's like I need a holder that's even deeper! I have set the die in the press so it touches the press's ram firmly (w/ a little cam-over)

I've tried contacting Redding, but sadly they are unavailable due to inventory work.
Thoughts...

Thanks much, as usual

You are correct, the .010 holder provides for the least amount of shoulder bump.
If you are sizing once fired brass, remember that it may take 2 or even possibly 3 firings before the brass 'grows' to your chamber dimensions. I use the .010 Redding Comp Shell holder for my 7 mm rem mag also.

good luck

You are correct, the .010 holder provides for the least amount of shoulder bump.
If you are sizing once fired brass, remember that it may take 2 or even possibly 3 firings before the brass 'grows' to your chamber dimensions. I use the .010 Redding Comp Shell holder for my 7 mm rem mag also.

good luck

Hey La

Thanks for joining in for me. I really didn't realize that it could take 2-3, I'm thinking maybe more for the brass to "grow" to my chamber.
I must pay closer attention to how many times the brass is fired now. And, use my Competition shell holders to control the bump

Hey, I also have the competition shell holders. Havnt sized anything yet as I am still on the first 30 cases for load development.
So let's say it take 3 reloads to feel resistance.
For the first 2 reloads would you use the .010" shell holder and back your FLD die out a c hair?
Just enough so it sizes but not enough to bump the shoulder?

I started using my .010 shell holder after the first firing and now I have some brass on their 4th firing. My sized brass still chambers without resistance, so I don't sweat it. I am in the range of .002-.003 of headspace clearance. My thinking: is it really that important to get all wrapped up over .002" of head space vs .003" or .004"? The main thing for me is consistency. My rifle will shoot some factory loads into 1" groups at 200 yards, and they have much more head space clearance than my hand loads.

I have a lot of Lapua 30-06 brass. I fired three times only neck sizing then set up my fl die to set back .002".
I anneal after two firings, I run a hex coated 208 ELD at 2680 fps. They are on the 12th firing with fairly tight pockets. I don't set up my die for accuracy alone, it's the brass life. Fourth firing isn't a good test for me personally, I don't even get serious with my brass prep and load development until the fourth firing.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.