Redding competition seating die

klemm

Has anyone had a problem with the bullet getting stuck in the stem. I am having resistance while retracting the ram while after I seat the bullet. It is actually pulling the bullet out of the brass( One time all the way ). I have .002 neck tension on brass. This happens on Berger 230 OTM hybrid, 220 smk and 175 smk. I can even get the bullet to stick if I push the bullet and stem together with my finger tips. I have tried reddings recommendation of using I thin coating of Imperial die wax inside the stem, does not work.
Any ideas

I still have the problem while trying to seat a bullet into a empty piece of brass. I do not have this problem with my 338 Lapua Redding competition bullet seater.

I had the same problem with a 22-250 ai die and found that I either didn't have the die screwed in the press far enough or the mic was to far out can't remember for sure and the bullet was just starting in the case and pulling out of the case and sticking in the die. Hope that helps.

Is this happening every time? Is there any deformation of the tip when seating? Any lines on the bullets when seated? Remove the seating stem and feel the stem if there is a slight lip remaining from the machining remove it.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

It is happening every time. No deformation of the bullets. There is no lip in the stem, but the inside chamfer is very shallow and feels rough. It is not a smooth finish at all

Order the vld seating stem, most likely solve all issues and any future issues. Download Redding catalog to find part #.

It is happening with non-VLD bullets. I have the same problem with 175 and 220 grain Sierra BTHP. And just tried a 55gr Lapua scenar. They are all getting stuck/sticking even with hand pressure.

Last edited:
It sounds to me that the seating stem is out of spec. if its shallow. I would call Redding tomorrow if you can measure the depth with a pin guage or a caliper somehow they will be able to tell you if its right.

I don't own the 300wm comp seater but my 308 win is approx. .625 in depth the opening is approx. .277 and taper stops approx. .220 from the mouth and the overall length is 1.196 if that helps.

(607) 753-3331

I own all kinds of redding dies and they did come wrong once a body die I purchased stamped 6.5x284 was found to be out of spec. They will make good.

Shoot straight

Bob

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.