Redding Competition Neck Sizing ?

drwindmill

I have a Redding comp bushing neck sizer for a wildcat 338-378 and when I set it up per Redding's instructions I crush the shoulders. The only way I can get it to deprime and size the neck is by not raising the shellholder all the way. What am I doing wrong?

It sounds like the die is not set up correctly. Remove the decapping pin/rod and adjust the die to properly size the neck. Then, reinstall the decapping pin/rod and adjust length to push out the primer.
If that fails, call Redding.

In Redding's instructions they say to screw the die in until the the bottom part is compressed all the way inside of the die and that the die is touching the shell holder. Then they to back it off until you read the micrometer numbers. I do this with a case in the holder and the ram only goes about 3/4 of the way before it stops. I'm just wondering if there is something I am missing.

If it sizes the neck without the case going all the way into the die then something is not right with the die. All of my NS bushing dies require the case to go all the way into the die before the neck is sized.

I have a Redding comp bushing neck sizer for a wildcat 338-378 and when I set it up per Redding's instructions I crush the shoulders. The only way I can get it to deprime and size the neck is by not raising the shellholder all the way. What am I doing wrong?
hello, i have the same problem with the set Comp .308 win (:)
already solved the problem ?? drwindmill

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.