redding competition die set 308

johnhhernan

What am i missing? I just bought the Redding 3 piece die set and it has full body sizer, a neck sizer and a bullet seater. Which one do I use to resize the neck so I can insert a bullet. One would think the neck resizer right? Well here is where i am being stupid, it won't resize it just pops the spent primer out which is good but I also want it to resize the neck PLEASE help a dumb old fool. I took it apart to see how it works.

It will bottom out before it will resizes anything

What am i missing? I just bought the Redding 3 piece die set and it has full body sizer, a neck sizer and a bullet seater. Which one do I use to resize the neck so I can insert a bullet. One would think the neck resizer right? Well here is where i am being stupid, it won't resize it just pops the spent primer out which is good but I also want it to resize the neck PLEASE help a dumb old fool. I took it apart to see how it works.

It will bottom out before it will resizes anything

If the die is bottoming out on the shell holder and not contacting the case at all, you may have a bushing die. Can you post a photo?

If the die is bottoming out on the shell holder and not contacting the case at all, you may have a bushing die. Can you post a photo?

Yep, more than likely a bushing die. You will need to buy the correct sized bushings for the neck die.

Redding suggests the following for bushing selection:

"The easiest way to determine the proper diameter bushing is to measure the neck diameter of several loaded or dummy cartridges with an accurate micrometer. (These dummy cartridges can be loaded with your old set of dies or a borrowed set.) Then, simply subtract 0.001" from the cartridge that had the smallest average measurement. This will allow for a slight amount of spring back and create a proper press fit for the bullet."

Thanks bill and coyote, Yep thats what it needed. I called and measured and ordered. I wish they would say something before i order thats okay. It'll be here in a couple of days.

Next time you are in the market for dies, take a hard look at John Whidden's die sets www.whiddengunworks.com

I have them in 338 Lapua and 308. Beautifully made dies that come complete with a bump gage, extra expamder balls and take Redding or Wilson bushings in the case of bushing dies or no bushing in the case of the standard FL and NS dies.

Mirror finished inside with lock rings that are a work of art, worth a couple extra bucks IMO.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.