Redding Competion Seater .308

SWALI

New to reloading and was wondering if there should be any chance of run out using Redding Competion Bullet seater.

Is it worth while investing in a Concentricity guage ?

Short answer, sure. There's always a chance.

Concentricty gauge? I'd personally hold off.

There are so many variables that come into play with manufacturing your own ammunition. Personally, I'd ensure that all of your quality control processes are being religiously followed first.

Build each cartridge as if it is the last one you'll ever shoot.

IF you shoot well and if the gun is doing its part, chances are it'll hold within a minute and may occassionally surprise you with a half minute.

When you get to this point and then decide you want more, only then would I consider the investment of more sophisticated gauging and instrumentation.

Actually, first I'd make sure the gun was tuned up real good. New barrel, action work, bedding, good glass, trigger, stock.

Good luck.

Thanks for the info.

Yes I have just taken delivery of a new rifle built by Chris Mathews (Longshot Rifles).

Nesika K Round Action,Broughton Barrel,Jewel trigger,bedded,McMilan stock,Nightforce rings and scope,vais muzzle break.

For sure Chris has tuned this baby up.

Yet to put a shot through her.

Swali - "...any chance of run out using Redding Competion Bullet seater."

Certainly. No seater, however excellant itself, can overcome the deficencies of an out of line case neck and that's quite common. All any good seater can do is allow us to seat straight into a case that's straight. Most conventional seaters can't do that well but Redding/Forster BR/Competion seaters do a very good job.

I agree with Derek, if you are interested in best accuracy a concentricy gage is great. It not only can tell you if your ammo isn't straight, used properly it can help clue you to why. You may have some really bad brass or your sizer's neck may be off a little or, much more common, your neck expander may be bending your necks as it is pulled out. Without the gage you are wandering in darkness while trying to find small things.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.