Redding 308 Comp S Neck Sizer w/.336 bushing

fultzrick

Hey gang. Another newbie here probably asking the same question, but here goes. Would someone care to walk me through the procedure to be used sizing the necks to seat the bullets. Thanks in advance!

I don't know how far back to go but I guess I'll start by saying that you should start out with good brass. You get what you pay for in that category for sure. Take your die apart and clean it up before you use it.
Lately, I've been using Redding case lube. I like it because it works well, don't turn sticky and cleans up easily. Don't use too much lube!!! Don't get any on the case shoulder. Brush the inside of the case necks first though. I been using my finger tips to smear a thin coat on the neck. I use a Q-tip to put a bit inside the neck too. If the brass is new, FL size it but be careful if using the directions that come with the dies because they can cause you to "over size" your case and push the shoulder back too far resulting in poor accuracy and split case necks. Adjust your dies so that you are not moving the shoulder back at all. (there is an entire thread on just how to do this)
That should be enough to get you into trouble. Good luck.

One last suggestion: Some guys like to size a case, then turn the brass 180 degrees and size it again. I tend to agree that it helps.

Tom

The reason I ask is that .336 may be too large a diameter, especially if your brass is part of a lot that is on the thin side. I was encouraged to buy the exact same bushing when I first bought my .308 and .30-06 Redding dies many moons ago. Ended up being waaaaay too big and I had to place an irritated call to Sinclair to get the right one(s).

To determine the correct bushing, seat a bullet in your brass and measure the outside diameter of the "loaded" brass around the bullet. Then - and I'd recommend you check the following out for yourself as I'm just writing this from memory....subtract .001" from that number and order/use that bushing. The directions for choosing the right size bushing are in the box that your die came in. They can also be found on Redding's and Sinclair's website. Before it is all said and done, you'll probably end up with a few bushings to account for differences in brass manufacturing tolerances, which can differ a surprising amount even from lot to lot.

I'm curious which size you'll end up using and just how far you'll venture into the OCD anal retentive reloading worm hole that this leads.

You might want to check out this great article on brass prep... One of the Many Great Articles from the Archives of Precision Shooting Magazine...

Good luck!

Allen

Thanks so much for your clear explanation. With your help I believe I have enough info to get me going. Acquiring extra bushings doesn't worry me any as I am prepared to try a few differnet brands of cases to see which one works best with my Savage F/TR. Regards, Rick F.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.