Recovered Bullet Photo Gallery

• Thread starter Deleted member 107796
  • Start date
147 eld
Retained weight was about 83 grains if I remember correctly
MV 2940fps
Impact through both shoulders & just under the off side skin on a medium/small whitetail @ 465 yds.
If you are curious about the picture background, it's a Whirlpool super capacity commercial grade washer. It's been a fine running machine with the exception of a couple of motor coupling replacements. Highly recommend machine.😂
IMG_20200710_075659145.jpg

Dang, not sure how this works...
Here are a few I have gotten back ranging from 17 to 200 yards all recovered from elk. The ABs were 180gr and fired from the ol' "ouch six" with a spicey dose of 4350. The monos are 200gr barnes LRX fired from a 300rum, these typically are rare to recover, the "hey it penciled through one" actually hit the bull fully sideways as in keyhole, wish I had photos of the clipped ribs...not really sure about that one, the tip is folded over. Stick or limb perhaps...had to shoot through some brush for him, but it sure did pile him up...I figure this will stir things a bit, and I certainly welcome any input on this as well...this and a couple other anomalies with barnes has prompted me to try Hammer Bullets I like the mono's ability to penetrate for the less than ideal shots. In my stomping grounds a fella can walk a LOT of miles and end up with just one shot so stacking the deck makes sense. The Accubonds worked exceptionally with the 30-06, even with hard quartering shots all the way through a full grub bag and into the vitals. Just wasn't comfortable with meat loss once I stepped into the RUM
If you want an excuse for missing a shot just shoot through brush

Here's a couple. First we've got 2 250gr hornady interlock from my 338wm. Was running them hard at 2750fps from a 22in tikka. These 2 rounds were shot at 45yds and 25yds at a 8ft brown bear. Both shots were full broadside and passed entirely through both shoulders anchoring the bear. Recovered weights are 145gr and 153gr. All the performance you could ask for.
Good results. I didn,t think those bullets were that stout. I loaded some 250 hornady spire points for a friend with a 358 norma. I know different caliber. These were full house loads running 2900. He shot a whitetail deer broadside through the top of the shoulders hitting the spine too. Shed the core and stayed inside. I used to live in Alaska and a buddy used a 270 hornady interlock in a 375 on a big bear. He never did find that bear. I guess for me on a big bear I will use a 250 nosler, woodleigh, or a barnes. I am not writing this to argue or second guess your choice. Just my opinion.

What a thumper! How far did the hog run, if at all?
Surprisingly enough, that pig ran over 100yds and wasn't located until the next day. The bear in my avatar was taken in Newfoundland with the same bullet. The bear didn't get 30 yards after the bullet passed completely through him. I've killed a lot of bears with a lot of different bullets using the 45-70 but the Speer is my favorite bullet for hunting over bait.

I'll be using a 402gr Hammer bullet for an upcoming Maine moose hunt. With a little luck we'll she how it performs.

Bump, anyone got some new recovered bullets to show? Here's a 150gr hornady interlock shot from a hk91 at about 50 yards into a mule deer. High shoulder shot, found in offside scapula
IMG_4104.jpeg

Here's a large chunk of jacket from a 156 eol found under the hide of a large mule deer at 550 from a PRC, rest of the bullet exited
IMG_4084.jpeg

IMG_8354.jpeg

200 gr 35 cal Barnes recovered from shoulder of 200 # whitetail. As you can see it didn't expand. It did put the deer down but needed another round. 350 rem mag at 2650 ish.

Here are a could bullets I have recovered. First is a 178 eldx second is a 175 Berger hunter. Both shot out of 30-06, eldx was at 251 yards muzzle velocity was 2810, the Berger was at 216 yards muzzle velocity was 2760. Both bullet were shot into decent size black tail bucks.
IMG_0592.jpeg
IMG_0138.jpeg

Exactly my experience with Barnes on soft skinned game
I've had varying results. Smaller caliber high sd bullets showed minimal
Tissue destruction. The 35 cal had done better with wider wounding. I was having trouble with bullets staying together. In fairness someone posted earlier about a bullet deflecting and impacting sideways and the picture looked like mine. Not sure if this was the first or second shot. The second shot I was walking up to the deer and did shoot through an opening in some brush so it could have deflected.