Recommended factory action

It's always puzzled me when guys say they can't afford a custom action, then proceed to dump more into a rem 700 then a custom cost? Just because they do it 100 bucks at a time I guess it doesn't hurt as bad? The great thing also is once all that money has been spent on the 700 you still just have a 700 when it comes to resale value.

Tikka's are tough to beat as long as the cartridge you chose fits in them. Some just flat out don't work. Perfect action for any of the short mags. The recoil lug is a non-issue, the T3x comes with a steel lug and if your putting it in a aftermarket stock you just bed the lug into it and it functions no different then any other lug. Even in the factory Tikka stock they still outshoot most 700's so it's not something to even worry about. The shoulder of the barrel is in direct contact with the face of the action much like a custom action with a integrated lug so the design may actually be better then a tombstone style lug.

I have 7 Remington 700's. I get .5 out of all my worked up reloads@ 200 yrds . Only change I have made is Timney triggers in all of them. About 1/2 lb pull.
Good Luck

Tribb: I am the odd man here, I like Winchester actions and Winchester clone action (Dakota Arms). your Accu-Mark is good too. I have lots of various gun actions, but my fave is the Win 70. I have a few remingtons and I do shoot them a lot.
Tikka, Sako, and CZ are also great actions.

My best advice to you is this. find an action you like the look of and build that action.

As an aside Freddiej that store to the south of you on 395 on the south end of Minden/Gardnerville had a M70 FWT .30-06, that had been converted to .308 Norma Mag, not all that long ago (last Winter or early Spring?). I'm remembering it as a CRF, likely pre '64 but I'm no expert on that. They may still have it. Don't recall the price, but I do recall thinking it was reasonable.

IMHO the pre '64 style Win M70 is easily the nicest looking action. There's just something "right" about them that I can't define or articulate.

@ tribb,.. Yup, still the SAME on T-3's and T-3X's ( my son has, a T-3X, in 7mm-08 ).
I've bought 2 , "older stock" T-3 models with, Aluminum Recoil Lugs and replaced them with, New Steel ones. Yup, I'm NOT crazy about, the recoil Lugs "Design" either, BUT, they "Work", once you get used to putting/ "snapping", the Rifle back, together !
I Install the New steel lugs at same Time that, I replace / adjust, the Trigger Springs then, "check" for, forearm, Free float, "clearance" issues,.. IF, any !
I Lightly "Polish", the chambers Throat area ( as the Factory Machined edges, ARE, "sharp" ) and polish the Barrel with, JB's slathered on, a Patch over, a Bronze Brush ( 10-12 strokes ) CLEAN and "Break in" carefully, by shooting 5 then cleaning, again ( did this, a couple of Times ).
Peak Velocity was, "Hit" quickly !
Bore shines like Chrome and NO, Copper / Carbon, Residue,.. "holds" on ( cleans easily / quickly ) and Loads shoot, sub 1/2 MOA when, my old .338 Win Mag.,.. "Flinch" stays, away ! If, you like, light weight, "Mountain Rifles" that, "Shoot" good, Tikka is the way to go,.. IMHO !
I'd personally AVOID, the .300 WSM cart., UN-Less you plan on using, a Brake and Heavier Stock, as they, Kick HARD in, a 7 1/2 lb., Rifle !
.270 WSM and 7 mm Rem Mag., .30-06 or, 7mm-08 ( IF, Hand loaded w/ 160's + ! ) would be, MY Choices if,.. Elk are on, the Menu ! Good Luck !
Oh, and be SURE to put, a LimbSaver Recoil Pad on, IT !!

I use a Mauser 98 action for a lot of my hunting rifles. Because of the safety that locks the firing pin down No way that rifle can fire without moving the safety over, and it can't move without your hands moving it off of safety. I used a Rem 721 in a 25/06 and carried a round in the chamber. Being left handed, I carried the rifle on my left side. In walking and the rifle moving moving the safety off. When out hunting I slipped and started to fall. Move my hand back to protect my rifle. Some how I got my figure into the trigger well, and set the rifle off. With muzzle being very close to my head, I almost took off my head. Never carried a round in the chamber in a Rem again. With deer and antelope I have found over the years I generally didn't need a round in the chamber to start with. Elk was a different thing.
Fell in love with Triggertech triggers so I have moved back to Rem. 700 actions with A,B,C model no. the action is good. Newer than that there can be a problem. I look in Pawn Shops for the action. I understand that Rem has come back out with actions, I don't know anything about them. There is custom action out there and I have look at them, but the price held me back. I didn't feel that what I was going to use the rifle for didn't require that. I am not shooting on matches so I felt I didn't need the add expense.
With what I done a great many years ago, I still stand by the action I have taken for safety reasons.
Glad you're still here and thanks for your advice sir

T
Tribb: I am the odd man here, I like Winchester actions and Winchester clone action (Dakota Arms). your Accu-Mark is good too. I have lots of various gun actions, but my fave is the Win 70. I have a few remingtons and I do shoot them a lot.
Tikka, Sako, and CZ are also great actions.

My best advice to you is this. find an action you like the look of and build that action.
Thank you Freddie

Deviant actions are sooo smooooth. A friend build a 6mm Creedmoor on one and it is a shooter too. Might splurge for a Deviance Machine action next. $1300 -$1400 I think. So far, I've used Rem 700, Howa 1500, and Pre-war Winchester Model 70's. The old Winchester actions were machined out of a billet or forged steel and hand honed. Almost as smooth as a Deviant!! They're great except stock options are limited for the Pre-war Win Model 70's. Need a craftsman to do the final inletting. Remington revolutionized the industry with the Model 700 design. The concept reduced cost significantly and they're hard to beat as long as they get fitted with a Jewel or Trigger Tech Trigger. Best advice I read here was to find a used Model 700 and have it blue printed, put on a Jewel trigger and be a happy shooter. Good luck!!

Screw a bartlein on a 700 in 6 or 7 mill with the twist rate for the bullet you want to shoot and watch the magic happen I shoot with people that spend money on top of money but one hole at 200 yards is very possible with a good barrel and good hand loads and a stock 700 action and buy good rings and a good mount mid range stock and atlas bipod and good trigger. Just my opinion from lots of shooting

Screw a bartlein on a 700 in 6 or 7 mill with the twist rate for the bullet you want to shoot and watch the magic happen I shoot with people that spend money on top of money but one hole at 200 yards is very possible with a good barrel and good hand loads and a stock 700 action and buy good rings and a good mount mid range stock and atlas bipod and good trigger. Just my opinion from lots of shooting
I used magpul Hunter with stick on wheel weights inside the rear of the stock to balance it out a little paid 300.00 with tip for threading and chambering