Recommended factory action

tribb

Looking for suggestions of a factory action to use in a rifle build for hunting and some summer target shooting ! This would be a long action possibly magnum caliber. I tend to favor old school recoil lugs. Looking at something like savage, vanguard, bergara, Remington, mark v etc. Have an accumark I could make use of. Thanks to you all for any and all your help. Tribb

Figure out what caliber you want and then select the proper action by mag length. Personally Ill never get another factory action for a build with the custom options we have today. Get a bighorn origin if your wanting to keep the cost down.

Agreed with above, any particular reason you want to go with a factory action? Lots of great custom actions available and easy to build yourself with the prevalence of pre-fit barrels. Most have Remington 700 footprints which also makes finding a suitable stock or chassis a cake walk.
Agreed with above, any particular reason you want to go with a factory action? Lots of great custom actions available and easy to build yourself with the prevalence of pre-fit barrels. Most have Remington 700 footprints which also makes finding a suitable stock or chassis a cake walk.
Just trying to save money and I am get my hands on factory rifles locally. Would you suggest an action that fits what you suggested and could be bought for under say $600.00 thanks Tribb

I am not a fan of Savage, but if you are building/modifying it yourself that would probably be the easiest action to start with due to their barrel nut set up. Parts are also fairly common which would make building it out fairly straight forward. Lots of people really like building of Tikka actions as well with great results. I would look at available option from those two first.

There is another thread on here saying that Remington (under new ownership) is starting to ship out actions so rifles, etc will likely become available again. Bergara is more or less a clone of the Remington. As far as aftermarket parts availability, Remington would be king among all, but this is where custom actions do it better.

If looking at the Vanguard/Howa 1500 or Mark V I would just buy the complete rifle that you want instead of trying to build or modify one.

For reference, the Bighorn/Zermatt Origin actions are about $875. If in your search you start finding actions prices reaching near that point I would still suggest going with a custom.

Hope this helps.

Figure out what caliber you want and then select the proper action by mag length. Personally Ill never get another factory action for a build with the custom options we have today. Get a bighorn origin if your wanting to keep the cost down.
Thanks

I am not a fan of Savage, but if you are building/modifying it yourself that would probably be the easiest action to start with due to their barrel nut set up. Parts are also fairly common which would make building it out fairly straight forward. Lots of people really like building of Tikka actions as well with great results. I would look at available option from those two first.

There is another thread on here saying that Remington (under new ownership) is starting to ship out actions so rifles, etc will likely become available again. Bergara is more or less a clone of the Remington. As far as aftermarket parts availability, Remington would be king among all, but this is where custom actions do it better.

If looking at the Vanguard/Howa 1500 or Mark V I would just buy the complete rifle that you want instead of trying to build or modify one.

For reference, the Bighorn/Zermatt Origin actions are about $875. If in your search you start finding actions prices reaching near that point I would still suggest going with a custom.

Hope this helps.
It sure does thanks

I think the choices are usually Remington +$250 truing, Savage +$150 true & time, Howa +?? to true. Tikka can be a good choice.

or a Bighorn long action for $925.

i have a Savage, Win 70 and a Bighorn. My bighorn build is not complete, but the action is incredible!

I hate to say this, but it might be better to use a cheaper prefit barrel and nut than skimp on the action. I would definitely use a B&C or KRG stock as a cost saver to buy a better action. That can save you $300-$600

Nothing wrong with a factory action IF the donor rifle is the right price.
I build my rifles primarily on 4 actions, one of which is now discontinued and new rifles are zero, those actions are Rem 700, Win Model 70 and Kimber 84/8400.
A Rem 700, even with $250 added to have it trued is still gonna be less than a custom action. They are just as good once trued.
I swap out bolts, but that is NOT necessary to have a functioning rifle.
Some very good rifles are built doing less than this to a Rem 700.
Look into all the customs, then decide what features you like and dislike.
I like simplicity, so take that as you will. I also like 2 bolt lugs and 90° bolt throw.

Cheers.

Looking for suggestions of a factory action to use in a rifle build for hunting and some summer target shooting ! This would be a long action possibly magnum caliber. I tend to favor old school recoil lugs. Looking at something like savage, vanguard, bergara, Remington, mark v etc. Have an accumark I could make use of. Thanks to you all for any and all your help. Tribb
Tikka