Recommended factory action for build

tribb

Seeking advice on factory actions for a 30-06 or magnum class of cartridge! Looking at bergara, savage, vanguard, Remington, or mark v. I presently have a mark v accumark I could use. Kind of like the old style recoil lug set up! Unlike Sako or Tikka! This setup will be for a hunting rifle used for informal targets during summer . All advice and comments are welcome. Thanks in advance folks Tribb

The Factory STEEL recoil Lugs, work fine,.. but, it can be, a Tiny Bit of, a PITA to put gun back together ( sometimes ! ).
The Tikka action, is STRONG, fairly light with, a shorter Bolt "lift" than, the Rem's ( GOOD Thumb, clearance ! ) AND the perfect Length for, a .30-06 !
NO need to,.. buy, a New Trigger ( just a YoDave Spring ) or "True up" the actions, like, the 700's !
I have 2 Tikka's NOW and thinking of building, another in 6.5 x 55 GWI or, AI for, Playing with, L R steel, Targets.

Last edited:
The Factory STEEL recoil Lugs, work fine,.. but, it can be, a Tiny Bit of, a PITA to put gun back together ( sometimes ! ).
The Tikka action, is STRONG, fairly light with, a shorter Bolt "lift" than, the Rem's ( GOOD Thumb, clearance ! ) AND the perfect Length for, a .30-06 !
NO need to,.. buy, a New Trigger ( just a YoDave Spring ) or "True up" the actions, like, the 700's !
I have 2 Tikka's NOW and thinking of building, another in 6.5 x 55 GWI or, AI for, Playing with, L R steel, Targets.
Thank you sir

Thank you sir

I also love Tikka's and Sako's, but for a budget hunting/fun rifle, a Savage action allows a person the DIY option of a Carbon fiber prefit barrel. Remage will do the same. Really does come down to the pocket book.

Seeking advice on factory actions for a 30-06 or magnum class of cartridge! Looking at bergara, savage, vanguard, Remington, or mark v. I presently have a mark v accumark I could use. Kind of like the old style recoil lug set up! Unlike Sako or Tikka! This setup will be for a hunting rifle used for informal targets during summer . All advice and comments are welcome. Thanks in advance folks Tribb

so since you have your goal(s) for said rifle, now you need to figure how much you wanna spend.

then you need to figure out if you'll be buying factory ammo, hand loading, or both.

if factory ammo, make sure you can get ammo for it.

if hand loading, make sure you can get components.

then, decide on how deep down the rabbit hole you wanna go.

my first long range rig was a remington 700 BDL, swapped out the sporter barrel for a factory heavy barrel and it shot well on my hand loads.

sold it to fund a tikka action, bartlein barrel, MDT chassis build, that ended up in my wife's hands,

while i went with a defiance action, X-caliber barrel, XLR chassis build

about 1k difference in price, both are chambered in 270win