Recommendations on tool make(s) and model(s) for Mauser work

Viking264

Anyone have first-hand experience and recommendations on tools for lug lapping and bolt face truing on Mauser 98 (commercial) actions? I've seen the PTG products; figured I'd ask here before I made any purchases, though, in case there's something better. Many thanks.

I have worked on literally hundreds on Mausers over the years, both surplus military and the commercial versions, and have never lapped the lugs or 'trued' a bolt face (except when opening for a magnum). When barreled with care and a quality barrel, they'll make very nice 'classic style' hunting rifles that'll out shoot their owners in hunting situations (gotta' be properly stocked, too). Save the money you were going to buy these tools with and buy a Krieger/Hart/Brux/Benchmark barrel blank with it. (there are several other quality barrel makers I neglected to mention, like Bartlien, Rock Creek and Shilen and some others), As a side note, I wouldn't buy any cutting tools from PTG, they just disappoint.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.