Recommendations on Texas White Dahl hunt

7070yshot

I've already booked the hunt with Black Water Guide Service.

I'm semi-new to Sheep hunting. I bagged a really nice trophy Black Hawaiian a couple of years ago so now I want the White version. The BH sheep never stopped moving and it was a chase and shoot (in a Polaris Ranger).
Just curious about the nature of the TWD sheep? Do the clump up. The big/old sheep hang out alone or tight in a groups? I'm also into shooting 600y plus so if they are all clumped together that will make it a risky shot. just curious about others experience and what I should expect from a behavior stand point from the TWD.

It totally depends on the ranch and their set up. I've raised both kinds and sold to game ranches. They behave the same regardless of color.
I would be upfront with your outfitter on your expectations and see if they can accommodate that type of hunt.
James

I've logged a lot of miles pursuing dahl sheep, from the mountains north of Kotzebue down to the Kenai Penn off the Harding ice field. Never knew they were also ranched down in Texas until this post. Did a google search...wow, interesting creatures.

I've logged a lot of miles pursuing dahl sheep, from the mountains north of Kotzebue down to the Kenai Penn off the Harding ice field. Never knew they were also ranched down in Texas until this post. Did a google search...wow, interesting creatures.
I doubt it's the same Dahl sheep as our Texas Dahls are a mix from Barbado hair sheep. Like the Corsican and Black Hawaiian

Like other said depends on ranch. I hunted at the star s for years and they had a Texas Dahl that ran with the audad. Very weird.
I just got back from the Y.O. ranch and got both the black Hawaiian and a Dahl. This year they were just roaming around was able to get very close. Last year different story. As soon as they would see the truck or you they would move out. Even at 300-400 yards. So really depends on how they are previously hunted led and how hard. This year was very easy as the hunting during prime time was very slow so few hunters.

Thanks all good information. I'll be bringing a 338LM for long range work (my preferred method), 270Win for moderate distances and a Ruger No1 in 375HH for anything under 250.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.