Recommendations on smith to bed an action

backyardsniper

I have a barreled action that I want to get bedded into a mcmillan A5. Barreled action is all together and ready to go. Broughton barrel in rem varmint on a stiller tac 300 with a jewel trigger. I had it for sale in the classifieds and decided to keep it. Anyway, I sold the chassis off it and I want to put it in an A5 with detachable bottom metal. They have A5 stocks cut for badger dbm and the have badger dbm both in stock at bugholes.com so this should be a relativly simple project. Actually I need to look, Len may have what I need in stock on here to do it. Either way anybody got any go to guys they use for such projects. Thanks guys

Bedding is a very basic part of accurizing a rifle, so any competent gunsmith can do it.

Just pick one in your local area with a good reputation and you should be good to go.

That is the problem. None really in the area. Plus im worried about having to do any fitting or I would give it a go myself. If I get the stock already cut for the action that shouldnt be a problem though right? I also dont have any action screws. Will those come with the stock? This might be a good diy project

Backyard, contact action manufacturer for screws or at least the size. Find a bolt/fastener distributor and they should have them. You may have to trim them to size. I like the Allen head screws to replace the slotted factory screws. Just bought six stainless last week for $1.43. There are a ton of how to videos online for stock bedding as well as thousands on this forum to help you bed it yourself. Same goes for fitting the action. This is what this forum is all about. Good luck

That is the problem. None really in the area. Plus im worried about having to do any fitting or I would give it a go myself. If I get the stock already cut for the action that shouldnt be a problem though right? I also dont have any action screws. Will those come with the stock? This might be a good diy project
Brownell's or Midway will have them in stock. The stock should not require much fitting but usually they do require some. You can use talc or graphite powder to identify where you have high spots etc and then use a dremel, carving chisel, sand paper etc to remove them.

Lot's of good "how to" videos on how to bed a stock on youtube.

Backyard, contact action manufacturer for screws or at least the size. Find a bolt/fastener distributor and they should have them. You may have to trim them to size. I like the Allen head screws to replace the slotted factory screws. Just bought six stainless last week for $1.43. There are a ton of how to videos online for stock bedding as well as thousands on this forum to help you bed it yourself. Same goes for fitting the action. This is what this forum is all about. Good luck
Emphasis mine.

Absolutely.

You wouldnt happen to have the page addy or the name of the company or whatever where you bought those screws from would you?

fine thread....Allen drive....countersunk head screws are about as rare as "chicken teeth".!

S2, purchased from a family owned nut and bolt wholesaler in Glendale, AZ. I don't think they ship since they do a booming business locally. Check locally in your area for a distributor, most have the type screws that fit actions. You may have to trim them though. Good luck

Hello, I just wanted to let you know that bedding the action is definitely a DIY project. There is a ton of information out there on how to do it properly. My first pillar/bedding project was two years ago and I've done 3 more since. Some of the most useful information came from a guy named Richard Franklin. I read an article of his and I was hooked. Anyways here's the link to the article.

Stress-Free Pillar Bedding

Also purchased a couple of his videos, they were a tremendous help.

http://store.richardscustomrifles.com/

I think I may take a swing at it myself. Thanks man. I'll check out the videos

If you have never done it on something you don't care about, don't. Others here say it is a DIY project, but I would be hesitant and I have some skills and experience with it. Your best option is to send it off to someone to have it done.

If you have a McMillan stock, McMillan can do it for you. Their guy that does the work is top notch and if they mess it up, they have other A5's that they can start over with. There are lots of qualified guys around that will do it. Especially for a basic bedding job without pillars.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.