Recommendations on bivy tent

Yikes on the shipping to AK. I've looked at those Vargo stakes and I'm sure they are a great stake--price was the issue for me, but for you, that was equalized it appears.

Titanium Tent Stakes

The DAC stakes are 7000 series Aluminum which, in general nearly equals the strength of mild steels. The link I posted to--those stakes are .40 oz, not the .5 mentioned.

There are so many different alloys of titanium with so many different strengths/weaknesses that I'm always a bit leery to buy titanium stuff unless I know what the exact alloy is. I'm sure these vargo stakes are made from the right stuff, however. That Vargo stake should be a great lightweight, stackable/low bulk stake.

Used the Vargo titanium stakes for the first time this past weekend. They seem stout enough. Worked fine and didn't show any damage after pounding them into some rocky riverbed gravel. So far so good.

JMDN,

Ya forgot to add the Rainbow's liner, which adds weight.

The Moment DW has a double wall, asn the name says and, though smaller than the Rainbow, is closer to the original poster's "Bivy Tent" description while still having plenty of head room to sit up and room inside for your scoped rifle. (Place your rifle inside your pants to keep condensation frost off it.)

I will be running my X-ing pole INSIDE the Moment DW fly (as I've done with my SW Moment already). This gives far better fly support for high winds and snow load. Doing this is very easy and I'll be giving complete instructions and photos in November at the BACKPCAKING LIGHT forum in the GEAR page. You can read the forum without a paid membership. My User Name there is Eric B.

I have to use my SW Moment for October deer hunting in northern Neveda B/C I just laid our $9,600. + for an entirely new Lennox HVAC system for my home.:cool: and am a teensy bit short on cash at the time. So the Moment DW comes in November, in time for backcountry ski camping.

Litehiker,

I have not felt the need for the liner for the Single Rainbow at all, that's why I didn't include it.

The Rainbow can be made freestanding with the use of trekking poles if one thinks that is important.

The snow load capability of the Rainbow is very high due to the fact, if the need is warranted, the Rainbow is designed to use trekking poles, one on either side veritcally oriented, to further support the tent. Watch the video. That gives you the pole the tent comes with and two trekking poles giving vertical support to the structure. Another thing in regards to snow and the material that Henry uses (because I've gone through several hundred yards of the exact same material with the structures I make)--it is so slick with it's silicone coating that snow does not typically load near the top of the structure (super wet stuff can adhere, especially if rain has recently fallen and then turned to ice on the material...these 'bumps' of ice give the snow something to pile up on) but slides down the sides collecting around the perimeter of of the structure. This will still load the structure, it just takes more of it to get to that point. As with any tent when it's snowing, remaining very aware of how much snow is coming down and being vigilant to shake it off or otherwise remove it carefully from the structure is very important for possible structural reasons as well as comfort in two areas: 1) weighted snow at the perimeter effectively reduces the interior space of the tent, and 2) many tents are completely reliant on the airflow around their perimeter at ground level for ventilation. Take this away and you end up living in a ziploc bag, so to speak. Moisture builds up rapidly. I always look for tent designs that have good adjustable ventilation features near their peak as well as the ground level perimeter. Mine certainly do.

All this being said, I recently had an experience with the DOUBLE Rainbow that I wasn't fond of. A liner may have been helpful here... In near/at freezing temps in the long term rain at higher elevation, with TWO people in the tent (difficult ventilation/condensation environmental conditions), the ventilation inherent in the design was not able to keep up with the situation. I've been in somewhat similar situations in my single Rainbow with just me in it, obviously, and had very little problem. The Double Rainbow does not have any more ventilation ability than the Single Rainbow and I think in those conditions with twice the condensation making people in it, it just could't hack it. All that happened was more condensation on the roof than I'd like to see, but with two kids in that tent that weren't as careful and understanding as adults, they brushed up against the roof and had moisture from condensation on them and gear in no time. If two careful adults were in it, probably would've gone better. It's already sold to a buddy and a high quality Marmot double wall tent purchased in it's place. Might be heavier, but will keep 2 members of my family happier if we were to be in those conditions again while on a multiday hike. Just an fyi. The Double Rainbow would be palatial for 1 person and at 2.5 pounds, very hard to beat with two doors and 2 vestibules. It's fine for 2 folks in not so cold, prolonged rainy conditions as well.

Hi,

I do have a Tarptent "half liner" (no door side coverage) for my SW Moment but have never needed it. However I'll take it on my October deer hunt in northern Nevada's Ruby Mountains B/C at 8,000+ ft. it will be cold.

Still, even with that liner the SW Moment has way too much ventilation and if it both snows and blows I know I'll get spindrift inside.

Dunno if I'll take the X-ing pole, what with carrying a Browning A-Bolt rifle, ammo, folding hunting knife and roll-up plastic sled to drag out the deer I'll have enough extra weight to carry.

Yeah, even with a tent that will withstand a snow load the problem becomes snow building up on the sides so much that it squeezes the tent in and you lose width until you go out and shovel it away with snowshoes. Be damned if I'll carry my ski patrol avy shovel too.

Eric

The gov issued bivy bag is pretty good, only issue is that it does not seal up completely. In nov I am going on an ibex hunt here in New Mexico. The Florida mountains are loaded with rattle snakes! Their is a significant chance that they will still be out during my hunt. Last thing I want is to wake up with a rattle snake as a pillow.
Other than that the mil issue bivy bag works great.

Not the fart sack, I meant the whack-shack...the one man tent. I guess y'all didn't get them issued? I used mine in conjunction with the sleep system in Colorado last November. Worked great.
Looking at the specs it is a little heavier than you wanted, but there are extras you can remove.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.