Recommendations on a rifle for my wife..

I have a 700 mountain rifle in 260 Rem that I am about to list for sale. I bought it for my godson before his first western hunt.

He grew 6 inches and gained 20 pounds very quickly and ended up using his Dad's 30-06.

Walnut stock, Detachable box mag. I had Kevin Cram [Montour County Rifles] give it his accuracy package. Trigger, bed, crown and added a good recoil pad.

26 rounds fired, immaculate condition.

If your interested send a PM.

Sam

There are different varieties of 20 gauge shotguns. A single shot with 3" duck and goose load will give you a jolt about equal to a 7RM. A pump is a little better, and a semi is sweet.

My experience, be it male or female, is all in the attitude. I knew a gal who was maybe 120, med to slight frame who shot and hunted with a 7RM. When she told me that, I said, "really???" (because after 20 rounds of 7RM on the bench, I was done for the day), and she looked at me like why would I ask that, and said 'yes'. Her dad was an avid outdoorsman and she no doubt had good education and training.

I think the comments about fit are all right on. A lot of good suggestions on chamberings, and I would say she would probably be very happy with a 25-06 or 270 which are fine deer cartridges. And if LR was in the plan, go for the 270 WSM with good fit and a good recoil pad.

Wow..thanks for all of the advice and recommendations. Haven't been on for a couple of days and haven't been getting any email notifications either, so I am still soaking all this up. Thinking a Rem 700 youth model would be good as I have 3 younger kids that could shoot it as well. Probably the best thing to do is take her in and see which one fits her the best and which she is most comfortable with after choosing a caliber.

Wow..thanks for all of the advice and recommendations. Haven't been on for a couple of days and haven't been getting any email notifications either, so I am still soaking all this up. Thinking a Rem 700 youth model would be good as I have 3 younger kids that could shoot it as well. Probably the best thing to do is take her in and see which one fits her the best and which she is most comfortable with after choosing a caliber.

My recommendation would be the other way around...fit first, caliber second. For instance, in the Rem700 Youth Model, they only offer it in a couple of caliber choices. If it fits though, I would choose from among the offered calibers.

Alternatively, if you want to look at caliber first, then I would consider whether the stock could be customized to fit.

Thanks Trebark..I am a lucky guy! There are more out there though....and she is a fairly new shooter, so I didn't marry her like this lol....

My wife shoots all my guns and has killed elk, deer, antelope and such. She shot her deer this year with a 338 Lapua but prefers the 338-378 wby. I built her a 240 wby thinking that would be perfect and she liked the 264 winchester better. The key is the ones that fit her she likes best. So out of all of this the caliber doesn't matter as much as the rifle fitting her so she enjoys shooting it. Yesterday I bought her a Tikka t-3 light in 338 winchester because she loves to shoot mine. She likes it because it is super light and the stock fits her well. I would say let her shoulder a few and get the one that fits her best in whatever caliber. The tikka in a 270 wsm is a really nice gun for about anything and recoil is not to bad. Most women seem to like rifles that don't kick to bad so a 243 is a good choice or any caliber off the 308 case is a great deer rifle.

Whatcha think about a Marlin M-1894 .44 Magnum lever action? Just wondering because I am buying one Saturday (good deal and can't pass it up). The area she will be hunting is so wooded that I don't see any shots over 100 yards.

If she likes the lever guns, the new 308 Marlin Express has been well received.

Much more power than the 44 mag. Real similar to the 308 Winchester.

My boy shoots lever actions, first a Savage (99 maybe)? and now a Browning BLR.

You can get standard calibers in both those rifles, or used to be able to anyway. He's shot 243 in both.

I've got a Marlin 1895 SBL for my own cowboy assault rifle, its 45-70. I think it kicks quite a bit though. Not something I'd say is enjoyable to shoot. But it is more accurate than I expected. MOA out to 200 yds with factory ammo. Not bad for a lever gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts