Recommendations for shims.

bob4

I think I need ideas on shims for a Swarovski Z-3 4x12x50 BT on top of weaver style bases and rings. This is on a Rem 700. I just took off another Z-3 from this rifle, 3x10x42 and I am using the same bases and mounts. Not sure why but I seemed to have bottomed out trying to sight in. I can no longer turn the elevation knob to shoot lower and I'm shooting 1 inch high at 50 yds. This has a ballistic turret and this is with the turrets off. Just won't go anymore. Lower mounts won't work as I only have about less than a 1/4 inch between optic lens and rifle. I see some people recommend shimming when this happens. What do some of you do in these circumstances?

I think I need ideas on shims for a Swarovski Z-3 4x12x50 BT on top of weaver style bases and rings. This is on a Rem 700. I just took off another Z-3 from this rifle, 3x10x42 and I am using the same bases and mounts. Not sure why but I seemed to have bottomed out trying to sight in. I can no longer turn the elevation knob to shoot lower and I'm shooting 1 inch high at 50 yds. This has a ballistic turret and this is with the turrets off. Just won't go anymore. Lower mounts won't work as I only have about less than a 1/4 inch between optic lens and rifle. I see some people recommend shimming when this happens. What do some of you do in these circumstances?

Burris Signature Zee Rings with offset inserts are your friend.

John

Thanks, Been leaning this way. Does any one know if I would need their medium or High rings on a Rem 700 50mm objective? I would imagine there no the same as a Leopold.

Measure what you are using now and compare to the Burris specs. You can find their specs on the Burris site. I am mounting a Burris XTR 4-20x50 on a Savage using the Burris Xtreme 2 piece base and the Burris Xtreme 1" rings. This is a bull barrel and the scope clears.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.