Recommendations for Next Hunt

GA Sheephunter

Just did my first backpack hunt, a dall sheep hunt in the NWT and got a ram and a mountain caribou. As much as I would love to do that every year, I will never have that kind of money and also want to experience other things. As background, I had been a southeastern whitetail and hog hunter my whole life up until this point, so it is all new to me.

Have had thoughts of Elk, Moose, Red Stag, Antelope, Ibex. Not sure where to go from here.....not interested in seeking out a bear, and don't get very excited thinking about Africa.

Gotta cool it for 2019 and save more $, but am wanting to start doing research for 2020.

Any recommendations on what my next hunt should be? Any specific outfitters?

I really enjoyed the challenge and fulfillment of the sheep hunt, the physical and mental exertion, as well as the preparation process leading up to the hunt, so would lean towards something similar in the near term.....figure I can hunt river bottoms and willows, and sit in tree stands when I am older.

You can go on multiple deer and elk hunts across the west every year,

Don't try elk hunting. You will want to make it a yearly event. Might even try to figure out how to hunt more than one state. Good luck and have fun with your future hunts.

You also might like hunting elk in the rut with a bow. Calling in a screaming, huffing, puffing, snorting, timber busting, 700 lb bull elk to within 10 yards for a bow shot is an adrenaline experience for sure. Also weather is nicer since the rut is in September.
IMO it is the most addicting form of elk hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.