Recommendations for first AR-15

Creedmoor shooter

Howdy folks, looking into getting my first AR-15. I've resisted the AR platform for a long time just because they didn't really fit my style of shooting, but the time has come where I'd like to own one.

First off, I don't know alot about them. I'm a long range shooter and prs competitor and I've never had a use for them so it's pretty foreign to me. Not looking to spend a ton, but I'd still like to get a decent starter AR-15. I'm looking to spend between 800-1000 or 1100. Right now I'm looking at the Ruger MPR 18in barrel or maybe a Springfield Saint Victor. I want a full m-lock hand guard that much I do know. What's everyone's thoughts? This would be a do all type AR that I'd use for self defense, varmints/coyotes, and some plinking and maybe even dable in some intermediate ranges(400-600 yards) target work.

Open to suggestions. It doesn't have to be a tack driver, but I'd like to achieve atleast sub moa with my handloads.

I have one Armalite/ Eagle Arms M4C and it's a shooter. The others I've built off preban Bushmaster lowers and Colt barrels. One Aero Precision upper and another I can't remember. So it suffices to say the new stuff I'm really not knowledgeable. They're all sub moa but really that's not the norm. Mine are truck rifles/ varmint rifles. Rats to 300, chucks to just over 400, farthest yote was 125 running. Target work? So far just steel out to 800 yards. Get a decent model, a good trigger and have fun buddy. The rest you can add as just see fit.

When I decided I had to have an AR15 was during the Obama shortage. My best option was to build my own. Since then I have built many and helped many people build their own. For the same or similar price a person can have a custom, high quality firearm that will do all you ask. The thought can be a bit daunting at first but the rewards are great. NIce match grade barrel, NItride bolt carrier and group, higher end collapsing butstock , enlarged trigger guard, nice two stage trigger etc.

Not that the companies do not supply nice rifles. What you mentioned are good ones, Rock River makes some nice ones, Wilson Combat is good quality as well.

My 2 c

I've looked at rock river as well. Just can't seem to find anyone that has them.
I supplied a lot of agencies with them around 2009 and they were happy with them. Same with DPMS and I favored Bushmasters. My friend got a Ruger about 4 years ago but he's not an AR fan so he doesn't like it. I think a Ruger would be fine but have not shot them. Really just look at a decent manufacturer and get one that is close to what you want. And then look into a Geissele trigger. For you I think that would work the best for you.

I know that the current rav is nitrided bolts assemblies and such. They look pretty sharp. For accuracy I think a fitted bolt to barrel is your best bet. I used USGI parts when I could because I'm old and biased. ;)

You know, I agree with @meinidaho. Have several friends who fooled around with lower end stuff, and wound up replacing components to get them to shoot. Coming from bolts, you're not going to be happy with 2-3 inch groups.

We have 2 Rock River Arms rifles, one the entry level and a Predator/Varmint, and they both shoot great. Cheap factory ammo <1 MOA.

There is a guy who sells them at really good prices, but I'm unclear as to whether it's "legal" to post sources, so PM me if you're interested.

With the AR platform, you definitely get what you pay for. That being said, the quality of value/entry level AR's has vastly improved in the last few years. There is some fun/satisfaction of building one yourself but the novelty wears off after the first couple of times. My recommendation would be to try and get as close to what you want in either a complete rifle, kit, or complete upper + lower, then swap out parts you don't like (ie trigger, stock, grip, etc).

Palmetto State Armory and Andro Corp Industries both make great entry level options.

Aero precision is rather popular as well in this space.

BCM is one of the best value for quality options available, and would be a cut or two above the others listed.

You couldn't give me anything made by Ruger.

Generically speaking, there are a lot of rifle brands, but they source their receivers and bolts from the few actual manufacturers. RRA, Stag, Windham Weaponry (Bushmaster), are all going to be more or less equivalent for that reason.

For bang for buck you can't beat palmetto state.
That being said for your budget. Buy a complete power from them. Upgrade the trigger then order a larue tactical upper.
Say $200 for the lower, $800 ish upper, and do yourself a favor and get a decent trigger makes the ar a fun platform to shoot.

Howdy folks, looking into getting my first AR-15. I've resisted the AR platform for a long time just because they didn't really fit my style of shooting, but the time has come where I'd like to own one.

First off, I don't know alot about them. I'm a long range shooter and prs competitor and I've never had a use for them so it's pretty foreign to me. Not looking to spend a ton, but I'd still like to get a decent starter AR-15. I'm looking to spend between 800-1000 or 1100. Right now I'm looking at the Ruger MPR 18in barrel or maybe a Springfield Saint Victor. I want a full m-lock hand guard that much I do know. What's everyone's thoughts? This would be a do all type AR that I'd use for self defense, varmints/coyotes, and some plinking and maybe even dable in some intermediate ranges(400-600 yards) target work.

Open to suggestions. It doesn't have to be a tack driver, but I'd like to achieve atleast sub moa with my handloads.
Firstly id say Ruger MPR > Springfield Saint just from reading the feed back over the years but YMMV
I would look at
!
- IWI Zion 15 its a great sturdy rifle at a good price
if you could expand you budget slightly you could do the

- CMMG resolute 100-200 are excellent!

-Sig M400 Tread Has had great reviews so far!

- Aero Precision! you can find completed uppers and lowers just buy them and snap them together and you end up with an Amazing rifle (Try Primary arms website!)

-Ruger MPR Lightweight hand guard can be had for $799 and over all its pretty hard to beat!

If I were gonna buy a rifle and never really need to improve but are more expensive it these are some that I would consider:

- BCM 16 in RECCE rifle is a famously good rifle that can be had for around 1200-1400 depending on the sale.

- WWSD 2020 from brownells is expensive so only if you really like it
its the lightest well designed rifle on the market imo

I can expand on all of these tomorrow but its time for bed here let me know if there anything I can do to help?

-Over all IWI Zion 15 is USA made very good and inexpensive,
-the sig 400 tread has a lot of features fits perfectly into your price range and is 416 stainless which is more accurate typically , also use made I believe.

-CMMG has been putting out quality and innovative stuff for well over a decade nearly 2 and are great for the price point better than the MPR imo

-Aero is like the Honda Civic of AR's Affordable and extremely reliable very hard to beat but given your budget you could spend more for some features if you wanted to.

-BCM is gonna be a tough as nails AR that's probably the best overall value at the upper end of your price range

-WWSD is a light weight new rendition on the Concept of the Ar-15 and is designed with intense consideration on all things AR and is a great over all but perhaps not best for your purposes but its the new rage so I wanted to include it

As a "Lefty" I like, the Adams Arms, PISTON driven AR's ( Model # AA-15 W/ 16" bbl. ) the Gas bloc can be set for, a "Can" and with, NO Blow back of, Gas / Powder, into your Face OR, your CLEAN, Action ! NEVER had, a Miss-Fire or miss-feed even with, Handloads !
Has a 1-7 Twist, VooDoo, Nitrided Barrel and shoots SUB MOA with, 68 gr Horn BTHP's, 65 gr. Sierra BTSP GK's, and 60 or 55 gr NBT's !
I call Her, "the HildaBeast", after you know who ! I've owned it, 7 to 8 Years now and STILL,.. Like it !!!
I put on a 3x9 Burris scope, a Geiselle SSA, 2 stage Trigger in it and an Ambi Safety, plus Magpul Stock / M-lock Forend. I run 10 and 20 Round Magpul Mags for, Hunting, Plinking Steel and I can shoot it off, the Bench or, Prone with, the 20 rounder, NOT, hitting the Table or Ground as it's at,.. grip level !! Quite the BUY and Fun to shoot,.. IMO ! Might check Buds Guns or, Sign up for Specials at, Adams Arms.
PS; AGREE with, brcfro outdoors,.. Pass on, the Ruger !

Last edited:

Your PRS experience then should apply to this. A rifle made for everything is good at nothing.

A SPR build is going to be a semi auto AR version of a precision rifle. Same things apply to any other rifle, you put ****** components in, you'll get ****** results. The only way to go about it is to make it purpose built.

There IS a little more forgiveness in the AR-15 platform than say the AR-10 platform as most components are actually rebranded by many companies. Other companies make some of their stuff in house.

A optic that people THINK gives them diversity is a LPVO. It's not actually good for close up work. Anything with a eye box isn't. I don't care what Lucas or daddy thumb is doing on YouTube.
People fight me on this all the time but it's because they never been in a gunfight in a space smaller than a meth heads trailer.

RDS or holo for "all around." 36yd, 25 or 50 meter zero. Know your POA/POI.

You'll notice the suggestions are going to be repeated.

Aero
BCM
Adams
Geiselle
PSA sometimes.
I've had good luck with Smith and Wesson's mp-15T as a general use AR.