Recommendations for first AR-15

I am not really an AR fan but from my limited experience Rock River Arms makes as good as any for the money. I bought an ATH (Advanced Tactical Hunter) some years ago that shoots Federal or Winchester ammo loaded with 69 grain SMK into 1/4" groups at 100 yards. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised and my friends who had some "top of line" ARs that cost 2-3 times as much were livid that they could not get that kind of performance. I really thought it was just a fluke and I had gotten lucky in the purchase. When my police officer son-in-law needed an AR to carry in his patrol car, I was more than happy to give him my ATH. A year or so ago I decided to try another ATH and lo and behold it shoots the same ammo just as well as my last. The ATH is either one heck of a gun for the money or I got lucky twice;)

I supplied a lot of agencies with them around 2009 and they were happy with them. Same with DPMS and I favored Bushmasters. My friend got a Ruger about 4 years ago but he's not an AR fan so he doesn't like it. I think a Ruger would be fine but have not shot them. Really just look at a decent manufacturer and get one that is close to what you want. And then look into a Geissele trigger. For you I think that would work the best for you.
I believe the U.S. supplied DPMS to the Afghans and the Iraqis. That speaks to the reliability of their product & the frugality of the State Dept. ;-) There are only about five mfgs of the uppers & lowers, they stamp them with the contractors logos and numbering conventions. I bought a Daniel Defense as my first. The others on Anderson lowers. I put my money into BCGs, triggers & barrels.

223/5.56 is more than adequate for 600 yards and less. I have many AR-15's all in 223/5.56 and I own a 1000yd range. I never single load ever and shoot to 1000yds with AR-15's but anything past 800 starts getting sketchy now I will say that the guns than can hit 1000yds with magazine length ammo are not your standard spray and pray rifle. But out to 600yds no problem, 3/4 moa for a AR-15 is excellent accuracy, an aftermarket trigger is a must I do recommend the LaRue 2 stage I have idk maybe 6 of them they are fine. I do like my Giesselle High Speed National match triggers better but not by much and cost difference is considerably higher.
Barrels manufacturers I have

Shilen
Krieger
Longer-Walther
White Oak Armament
DPMS
AR Stoner
Wilson
Palmetto State Armory

Agian if I was going to spend $1200 on a AR I'd probably just buy an WOA upper. I also wouldn't be afraid to buy a LaRue upper either and put either one on a aluminum lower with a decent aftermarket trigger. Palmetto or Anderson lowers are fine you can spend more on them but your not gaining accuracy doing so.

I have several from Palmetto State Amory. Great for a basic rifle. My wife has an Anderson Manufacturing rifle that was bought as a kit. I've had a few DPMS's but sold them when prices skyrocketed, no complaints about them. Best two I own are Olympic Arms.
My wife's rifle.
Resized_pastedImage-1(1).jpeg

Your PRS experience then should apply to this. A rifle made for everything is good at nothing.

A SPR build is going to be a semi auto AR version of a precision rifle. Same things apply to any other rifle, you put ****** components in, you'll get ****** results. The only way to go about it is to make it purpose built.

There IS a little more forgiveness in the AR-15 platform than say the AR-10 platform as most components are actually rebranded by many companies. Other companies make some of their stuff in house.

A optic that people THINK gives them diversity is a LPVO. It's not actually good for close up work. Anything with a eye box isn't. I don't care what Lucas or daddy thumb is doing on YouTube.
People fight me on this all the time but it's because they never been in a gunfight in a space smaller than a meth heads trailer.

RDS or holo for "all around." 36yd, 25 or 50 meter zero. Know your POA/POI.

You'll notice the suggestions are going to be repeated.

Aero
BCM
Adams
Geiselle
PSA sometimes.
I've had good luck with Smith and Wesson's mp-15T as a general use AR.

Best reply to the OP so far. I can't disagree with any particular point.

If I am building a rifle to ensure my existence then I find BCM and Aero Precision parts to be of quality and their BCGs built to the best standards. If I am not building the rifle and had to go to battle with one built by a manufacturer then BCM hands down, every time.

If all I was worried about was shooting coyotes and could survive equipment failures then RRA, DPMS, PSA, etc. of the commercial grade AR brands will work.

Windham Weaponry (the old Bushmaster) is also a dependable rifle with a lifetime warranty. I have one that has thousands of rounds through it and never once had any type of failure. They are true mil spec with chrome lined BCG and barrels. This rifle is my "battle" rifle.

AR are like leggos for adults. Once you build one your hooked. It's very easy. You tube is your friend. If you want sub moa you need a good barrel and a good trigger. I prefer a free float hand guard versus the m lock. Have both. White oak, shilen, and others make good barrels. The rest is just mil spec parts. Buy a complete lower and upper then screw on your barrel and hand guard, gas tube if you dont want to build the lower.

Ps Aero uppers and lowers have pretty good quality. There is a lapping tool you can get to square up the front threads if necessary.

Just start studying how to build one and start buying components. With AR-15's you are pretty safe to mix and match. Uppers and lowers aren't incredibly important. You can buy aero or Noveske or anything in between and be good. If you have a few punches, a vice, and a torque wrench all you really need is an armorers wrench. If you want it to be accurate but durable I'd get a criterion chrome lined barrel. If you want more accuracy you can get a bartlein or rock from craddock precision. In either case get the barrel with a headspaced bolt.View attachment 307006
great suggestions and beautiful rifle is that the 12.5?