Recommendation for Riflesmith to trouble shoot my Rifle

Ingwe

Hello Fellas,

I am having trouble shooting consistent groups with my rifle, so what I would like to do is to send the rifle itself along with a few boxes of my reloads to a rifle smith who can trouble shoot it for me and correct a problem if one is found.....or it could just be me!

Can you recommend one for me? I thought of Hill Country Rifles, Kenny Jarrett, etc. but I would like a few suggestions/comments from you all.

I am not so sure that it's the gun or me. Off the bench with a rear bag and front rest at 100 yards, I will often make a 1/4" 3 shot group then the next two will be an inch away, or I will shoot a 3 shot group that is all over the place. The groups are never more than 1.5" at 100 yards but I am not shooting with any consistency....very frustrating!!

I did find that my groups are very sensitive to the amount of cheek pressure that I am putting on the comb, which doesn't seem to be the case with other rifles I own.

What do you guys think....any suggestions?

What grouping do you then get at 200 and 300 yards? What scope? What rifle and caliber?

Reload info? ES and SD?

We need more information to go on.

Well.....I never shot it at 300yds!

Unfortunately here in NYC I am lucky that I even have a 100yd Indoor Range!

The rifle is a M70 in 7mmRemMag, trued and re-barreled with a 26" 1:9 Benchmark Barrel by Hill Country Rifles. I had a Manners Stock installed with pillars and bedded by Manners themselves.
The scope is a NightForce ATACR 5-25x56 with Farrel rings and bases. Everything torqued properly.

I am using my own Handloads: 168gr Accubond LR's at 3,128fps.
79.3gr of RL-33 with Federal 215 Mag primers.

Thanks!

I would certainly try a different load(s) and possibly some factory ammo before coming to any conclusions. Having another shooter test shoot your loads in your gun may help eliminate the human factor as a possible source of the inconsistency.

If all else fails, it should be returned to the builder for an evaluation.

Thanks Fellas. I was planning on shooting some factory ammo to rule out an issue with my hand loads and I did dial out paralex before I shot yesterday.

Another thought.....dry firing. When I dry fire, the crosshairs always move a bit, no matter how carefully I squeeze the trigger.

When I squeeze the trigger and the firing pin falls, the bolt always "jumps" up a bit from the fully closed position. I cannot see how the rifle can remain steady through this jump, so I posted this jump issue in an earlier post but was advised that this was normal for a Winchester M70 due to the cocking piece. After hearing this feedback back then, I forgot about it....... Maybe this is an issue?

This gun has my head spinning

A couple things here, shoot the rifle with free recoil then load the bipod. Your groups are inconsestant sounding and its hard to tell if its tension/stress or what the rifle likes. Next change out the firing pin spring, Ive seen many time where a week spring will cause double grouping due to not "firing" hard enough. And lastly call Matt at Hill country as they made the rifle and are a stand-up company that will be glad to help you out.
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

Thanks for the reply's fellas.

Chris, thanks for chiming in and happy to have your barrel on my gun!

I have a feeling that it is me being inconsistent with my hold...not the rifle since I recently dug up some old targets that I had lying around and they seemed to follow the same pattern.

I am going to shoot prairie dogs next week and I will have my buddy shoot my gun and see what happens.

Chris, how do you feel about the Tubbs Firing Pin System??

If it were me, I would find a Very good local shooter who can watch your set up and all preparations before the shot. Contact your local club and ask around.

If it were me, I would find a Very good local shooter who can watch your set up and all preparations before the shot. Contact your local club and ask around.

+1! A few years ago, I went to the range to recheck zero for my rifle and my 2 sons. Fired 3-shots each, packed rifles, and waited for the range to be safe and retrieve my targets, IIRC, it was every 10-15 minutes when the range is hot.

Meantime, I was admiring the guy's set-up next to me. It was a Blaser 93 with some awesome engraving work in .30-06 and topped with a S&B (can't remember the model) and absolutely beautiful. I can tell that he was struggling; he was shaking his head and was adjusting his scope just about every shots.

He asked me to shot his rifle; at 1st I was hesitant knowing the set-up was ~$10k but I obliged. :D Fired 3-shots just in time for the RSO to safe the range. Retrieved my targets. The guy's shots was all over the place. The ones I shot was off center but grouped well under 1 MOA at 100 yards. He changed targets for the next round.

I watched him fire the next 3 shots and he was anticipating the recoil; he was actually closing his eyes as he jerked the trigger on every shot. Come to find out he shot a couple of boxes already. When I told him what he was doing he couldn't believe it. The best advice I could offer him at the time was to come back another day. Sadly that was the last time I ever saw him at the range and not sure if he ever figured it out or anybody else was able to work with him.

Thanks for the reply's fellas.

Chris, thanks for chiming in and happy to have your barrel on my gun!
Chris, how do you feel about the Tubbs Firing Pin System??

I like the Tubb springs! As well as the triggers, they seem to be tough and user adjustable
Chris
Benchmark

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.