Recommendation for a roughly 8lbs scoped factory rifle

livetohunt

Official LRH Sponsor
LRH Sponsor
Well, unfortunately it looks like my first custom may or may not be ready in time for me to do load development and take it on my wifes elk hunt.

because of this I just want to pick up a backup rifle because she is definitely not going to want to carry my 13lb .300 win mag I have been hunting with.

I'm looking for something that comes with a pre threaded barrel (ya I can thread it but it's not worth my time to remove the barrel and thread it.) I want something around the 8 lbs scoped range. Wanting it chambered in a .300 win mag. Maybe .300 PRC just for something new to play with? Im
Unsure of the availability of .300 PRC factory ammo and dies though.

Thanks for any suggestions!

I have two long action Fierce Rifles. One an Edge model and the other a Fury model, both 26" barrels. I have a Leupold VX3 4.5x14x40 on one and a Swarovski 3x12x50 on the other. Both outfits shoot extremely well and are very lightweight for full sized hunting rifles. Neither have carbon barrels. I have not put either on a scale but would be willing to bet that BOTH are under 8.5#....I would recommend EITHER of them...

Not sure what you're asking exactly...I have several Kimber 8400's, Classics, Super America's, Selects & Montana's.
Depending on scope, they all run less than 9lbs and most are right at 8 1/2lbs with a Leupold 3.5-10x40 VX-III on top.
The other option is a Win Model 70 EW, these are light, rugged and all 3 of mine are tack drivers with handloads. They run around the same 8lbs scopes you are looking for.

Cheers.

I'd get a $750 tikka lite or superlite. Put the rest of the money towards a good scope or an ok scope and you can upgrade the stock if you prefer.

Mine shoots lights out (.5MOA with factory and handloads), weighs 6lbs naked with 24.3" barrel. With 3-18 VX6 and rings it's under 7.5lbs.

Tough to beat value in tikkas IMO.

Well, unfortunately it looks like my first custom may or may not be ready in time for me to do load development and take it on my wifes elk hunt.

because of this I just want to pick up a backup rifle because she is definitely not going to want to carry my 13lb .300 win mag I have been hunting with.

I'm looking for something that comes with a pre threaded barrel (ya I can thread it but it's not worth my time to remove the barrel and thread it.) I want something around the 8 lbs scoped range. Wanting it chambered in a .300 win mag. Maybe .300 PRC just for something new to play with? Im
Unsure of the availability of .300 PRC factory ammo and dies though.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Cooper model 92 or tikka

The new Tikka Veils come light and a brake included. I like my 6.5 Creed. Typical lights out shooting out of box. First load development at 0.5 moa.

Good luck with the hunt.

Browning X-Bolt Hells Canyon Speed in 300 WSM is 6lbs 8 oz. In 300 WM or 300 PRC comes in at 6lbs 13 oz. All three have a factory brake.
You should be able to keep it close to 8lbs, give or take, scoped.

Cooper model 92 or tikka

I would hold off on buying that cooper after reading the, "Bipod broke my stock" thread. There were no fibers in that break. That is a sign of crap. I'm sure there is more to that story though.

I like the M70 extreme weather as a nice off the shelf rifle. I like that because it comes with the excellent crf action, smooth bolt lift, excellent m70 striker holding safety, MOA trigger that adjusts to a very good trigger, etc

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.