Recommend me some calls to get started

justinp61

I'm thinking of starting to purposely hunt coyotes, over the years I've been an opportunistic coyote killer but never made a effort to specifically hunt them.

What would be some good mouth calls to start out with? Later if this something I want to pursue I'll buy an electronic caller.

Thanks, Justin

If you want some easy to use open reed calls try some lil dog calls by PRIMOS they will work in cold or warm weather . They make some good prey animal sounds as well as some coyote vocalizations .

Primos also sells another call designed by Randy Anderson called the KI-YI that is easy to use for making some small animal distress sounds and his cat nip call as well . They sell some of Randy's call with a DVD that has some instruction on it sometimes you can get the calls and DVD for less money then just the calls .

I see that the critr call magnum has it's mouth piece made smaller now then it used to be . I like there standard call also .

I like the magnum, just thinking mine must be 30 years old😳😳😳 man does time fly......and I have the regular critter call with the thin reed and one with the coarse reed....female howl—male howl and the magnum is great for male howl, jack rabbit and awesome kiyi.......

Yes some of my calls are around 40 years old now and still going strong while I've gone through two Johnny Stewart MS 512's and one fox pro . When you and I got our magnums they had larger mouth pieces so I ground and filed mine down more like they are today then cut the barrel off about half way drilled a hole in the barrel for a lanyard . The standard criter calls are my main one that I use in those calls as it makes so many different sounds male , female coyote howls, pup squeals , barks , jack rabbit , cotton tail , deer fawn , antelope fawn , adult deer and antelope and the list goes on as with most open reed calls they can be used for so many different sounds .

Anything will work. Getting into your set undetected is going to be the key. Walk a little further into your sets if you are in a vehicle, 4-wheeler or anything that produces noise.

I ordered the Primos Lil Dog calls, they should be here in a couple days. Hopefully I can get out some mornings next week.

Most of the places I'll hunt are small parcels, 50-200 acres with livestock. Hopefully the normal tractor/truck activity will help. For now I'll use my Savage FVSS in 22-250, it's heavy at 11+ pounds with scope. I've killed ground hogs out to 470 yards with it. If this is something I'm going to stay with I'll build a lighter LH 22-250 just for coyotes.

Thanks guys, Justin.

Have you checked out the MFK Made for Killing) diaphragm calls?

Also, I second the Carver calls. I have two, and they are very nice.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts