Recommend me an Insulated Vest similar to...

CrankyYankee

Hello all.

I'm looking for an insulated vest similar to the discontinued Cabelas Outfitter Berber Fleece, but without the Windshear lining. For those not familiar, it is a very thick and puffy fleece that zips up and is athletic cut. We're talking it's just under an inch thick without pinching it tight. I have their 1/4 zip pullover hoodie and it is incredibly warm. I use it as an outer layer for stand hunting when it's not raining since it's roomy (XL). I can't wear it for spot and stalk or long walks to the stand as i will over heat quickly. I believe that windshear lining doesn't breathe too well.

Anyway... i borrowed a buddies vest in the same brand one season and used it to walk in to the stand. Once on stand, i put the hoodie over it and remained toasty warm. I've offered him more $ than he paid for it and he won't bite.

I can be flexible on the color. It doesn't HAVE to be camo, but no bright colors. I'm not interested in a down filled or a puffy.

Any suggestions???

Thanks in advance.

Will

Last edited:
Look at Patagonia, REI and especially LL Bean.

"Patagucci" is a bit on the 'spensive side but top quality and much less $$ than the Canadian Arc Teryx.

Eric B.

Thank you for chiming in Litehiker. I don't post much here, but i read this forum almost daily and your knowledge has helped me with several outings. I'll check them out.

Will

Add: The Patagonia Retro Pile Fleece Vest, and the LL Bean Mountain Pile Fleece Vest look like what I'm talking about. Not sure how my google-fu missed them before.

Anyone have input on these ???

Thanks

Last edited:
I really was disappointed when the quit this line and some of the Wooltimate stuff

I wore the first lite uncompahgre vest this past year in montana. I packed out my muley in 6 degrees. I am completely sold on their stuff. I stayed warm. When I sweated, it dried quickly and it's all very light weight and packs into one of its pockets if you want to take it off. It's not cheap but well worth the money imo.

I purchased some First Lite merino wool and Kuiu outerwear before a WY hunt last fall. Worth every penny. I never knew what I was missing by always cheaping out on clothing/gear.

Can't go wrong with First lite or KUIU

Thanks again all.

Love KUIU down gear also... spendy but been getting them one or two at a time...
Christmas, B-day, Fathers day, anniversary... I am almost all set up for hunting with KUIU and a little first light and now getting an article here and there for every day wear. :)

I have a carhartt fleece lined heavy vest that is very warm, canvas outer shell. I acquired it not long ago, will be part of my hunting attire this fall elk hunting. My bald head has a fleece orange stocking cap on it during hunting season for visibility

Man I'm not sure I would wear carhart tan in the woods even with the hat. Also, I do not where anything cotton in the woods any more. For sure if any chance of foul weather. Cotton kills in the mountains.
At least thats me, but I never know how far or how long I will be out when chacing Elk or mountain whitetails and muley

I'm sold on primaloft insulation. It starts at 60 gram and goes up from there, I have a 60 gram jacket from Orvis that weighs nothing and I have two 100 gram jackets one from Orvis and one from LLBean. All are incredibly light and warm. I wear them under non-insulated camo parkas or carry them in my backpack until I reach my stand.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.