Recommend a Scope for .17 HMR Ruger

Ben Landon

I was fortunate to pick up a Ruger Precision Rifle chambered in .17 HMR. Now I need an optic for it.

I've read just about every article I can find online which ranks "the best" scope for this caliber, but I thought it wise to ask the pros...

I am interested in target shooting and varmint hunting. And, I'd like to be able to zero in on targets out to 200 yards at least. I realize there's significant bullet drop, and a tri-moa reticle seems like a good fit for me. I'm not insisting on specific scopes or turrets designed for the .17, but I'm definitely wanting quality glass and at least 9x magnification (preferred 12X+ if possible) budget I hope to spend $400 or less but don't want cheap. I really want to make a solid investment and clarity is a huge priority. Ideally made in USA.

thanks!

I'm looking at the Athlon Helos BTR Gen2 4-20x50 for my CZ 22LR. It has side focus parallax down to 10 yds and decent reticle. Just haven't found one in MOA in stock.

I'm looking at the Athlon Helos BTR Gen2 4-20x50 for my CZ 22LR. It has side focus parallax down to 10 yds and decent reticle. Just haven't found one in MOA in stock.
I was just looking into an Athlon as well. Seems like they are a great value and have been impressing some shooters with pretty high standards. I'm going to have to just make a decision and see how it goes sooner or later. I've been reluctant to choose for a couple weeks now.

Get enough magnification to spot tiny .17 bullet holes at the range you want to shoot at. !0X-12X should be enough for 100 yards. I have a old Weaver 6-20X40 Grand Slam on my .17 HMR. Whatever, the scope should be able to focus down to 50 yards or less. The SWFA SS scopes are a good buy and a 12X42 would be just fine; they focus short at 15-20 yards, about. The tiny little .17 HMR drops about 8 inches at 200, 1/2 high at 100 and zero at 50. Using my .17 HMR a long shot at a 1 pound rodent would be just over 100 yards.

I've messed with a handful of lower cost scopes for my 17 HMR. Every one has fallen apart sooner or later. I agree, I like something with 12x minimum. I'm currently trying an Athlon Talos 4-16 mil dot. The wind drift is killer on the 17 and some form of graduated crosshair is very handy. Most of the lower cost scopes are in mil dots. If you want something in MOA, the Athlon Argos is at a nice price point. The glass leaves a lot on the table but it has worked well on my varmint rifles. A FFP scope would be fun since I find myself changing powers and ranges constantly.

I ran a barsaka variable to 18 power for years hunting prairie dogs. No recoil problems . I could make good kill shots out to 250 yards when wind cooperated

I use a Leupold Vx3 6.5-20x50mm with Leupold tapered wire 1/4 moa dot on my Weatherby MK XXII 22 RF it works great, can't see any reason it wouldn't perform as well on your .17 (buy it right the first time)

Weatherby XXII 1.jpg

The Vortex Diamondback Tactical FFP might be a good one to look at. Had to find a FFP MOA reticle at a better price. The 4-16x44 is $350 at the size fits well on rimfires.

This is a great suggestion. I have two of these on centerfire varmint rigs. In my experience, they leave little to be desired. I managed to pick them up for $280 each and wish I had bought more just for future needs. Adjustments are true, turret clicks are audible and tactile, and the glass is clear through the whole range. I do get a little bit of blur on the edges at the highest power, but that has not been restrictive in the least in my uses.

For the price, they are an excellent option.