Recommend a powder dispenser

alaskan9974

I have a Gen 6 Lyman I bought a few years ago, the scale has been going downhill quick. It has been off by nearly 1.5 grain even after repeated calibration and will hunt up and down by a few as it fills. Warranty looks to be non existent.

How does a chargemaster or the lite version compare for dropping automated loads for quick reloading, and accurate ones for precision reloads.

Just started using the Chargemaster lite. Works great. I have only used it with RL26, ~75gr. Less than a minute, and it auto dispenses as soon as you put the tray back on. Always been right on .1 gr every time

I know this isn't the question you are asking, but the speed and accuracy of my loads went up quite a bit when I went away from the electronic dispenser. I use a standard powder dropper (1.5 seconds) to drop a load around 2/10ths short of the final charge and then put the pan on a scale and trickle right up to the exact kernel of powder (under 10 seconds). So in under 15 seconds per charge, I'm dispensed, trickled, dumped to single kernel accuracy. The whole set up is under $120

Up until last evening, I would have recommended the RCBS Chargemaster Lite. For some reason, it stopped dispensing powder around 1.5 grains short of amount entered. I got by using a separate trickler until the unit stopped dispensing five minutes later. Have not had a chance to crack it open, but there is definitely something rattling around inside.

My lite seems to go over a kernel or two most of the time..
Set it for a .1gr under and trickle to finish...
I know a lot of guys shrug at touching powder with bare fingers....but if I set for what I want..i grab a few kernels out and feed back in by kernel to first showing of weight i want.....

Then i grab a big steak bare handed and chew on it all at the same time...😆

AutoTrickler and A&D FX120i. Not cheap but a joy to use.
Yes, this ^^^^

This is the greatest piece of gear to hit the reloading market ever. It will throw loads to the kernel and do it in less than 10 seconds. Since getting my AutoTrickler, I have not touched my RCBS Charge Master.

Harrels is by far the best Culver type I have ever used.

I know this isn't the question you are asking, but the speed and accuracy of my loads went up quite a bit when I went away from the electronic dispenser. I use a standard powder dropper (1.5 seconds) to drop a load around 2/10ths short of the final charge and then put the pan on a scale and trickle right up to the exact kernel of powder (under 10 seconds). So in under 15 seconds per charge, I'm dispensed, trickled, dumped to single kernel accuracy. The whole set up is under $120
That seems nearly impossible from a velocity viewpoint. Was your scale not checked with check weights?

as an aside...I have the old Hornady....maybe 8 years old. Works fine. Needs fine tuned in trickle speed and target weight. Some powders just flow through it funny. CFE223 will throw 0.2 gr clumps when trickling and throw you over! You can watch it. Others can do this too. I feel like it is humidity related. 50% RH and 60F in my room. With fine tuning the target, it works most of the time.

I use the Autothrower with Autotrickler with an analytical balance and it is fantastic. BlueTooth interface with a cell phone app and I punch in my weight and let it eat. Loading up test charges where I am varying weight every 3-10 rounds is now super quick and easy. It will cost $700-1500 depending upon your balance. I can bust out 90 rounds for a match in under an hour. That being said, unless you have money to spare, if you aren't loading up 50+ at a time or doing a lot of testing there are perfectly fine and cheaper options. A good manual thrower like a Harrel's and a Dandy vibratory trickler is 'to the kernel' precise just a bit slower; it is much cheaper though and VERY dependable.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts