Recommend a hiking boot with the following....

I have settled on the Salewa. Fits your bill and they are pretty tough to boot, hehe.
I just wore out a pair that were my hiking boots for Idaho, turned every day for more than a year, then my work boots because money was tight and that has been more than a year helping my buddy do residential building and remodeling.
Just got a pair a week ago. Worn them every day, best fitting boot I've ever worn, extremely comfortable so far.

I have some Salamon outbacks. Super comfortable,light. I put over 100 miles in them this archery elk season,most hike in the 1-1500 vert. 3 -10 mile days,love these boots and ran a Asolo canvas side gortex type too in past,wore out many of those. Once snow flies and Im in muley areas I step up to my heavier boots,Crispi,Asolo,Scarpa,Sportivia,Danner,Lowes

Check out the Hanwag line of boots. I have a pair of Tarta Tops and really like them. The Alaskans are another good hanwag boot.

I wear Salomon Quest GTX 4D in almost all hunting scenarios except heavy snow and sitting. I have two pair currently, and have worn out two others over the years. Light, comfortable out of the box, uninsulated, waterproof. I wear them when I climb towers too.

Not the high end boots like a lot of guys are wearing, but about half the price of some too. I have packed out a lot of game in them.

I'm currently using a pair of Hoka Kaha's and after years of heavy, high laced boots, my feet thank me every time they're on. Kinda a hybrid boot/basketball shoe.

I'll be in Helena in a couple weeks, plan to hit Capital and try those buggers on. I'll also try on the Crispi's that they carry. My PT wears the Hoka's for hiking and loves them and he hits it pretty hard!

My go to for several years is the Saloman GTX 400, uffda this is a great boot!

I wear an older style Solomons similar to this style. Not sure if that's what you're looking for.

I sometimes wear my old military salomon ax's.
However, I use Altra lone peaks for hunting on anything that requires actual hiking. Which are
Pretty popular in the through and sectional hiking world, including PCT thru hikers. So where most of us hunt.

I'm actually quite curious why people actually wear or suggest boots on actual hikes?

I bought a pair of the Crispi Thor 2 in Helena yesterday, I'm wearing them today so far they seem decent...if it wasn't snowing today I'd be outdoors with them.

Hey there CrankyYankee.....not sure if you've already bought your boots, but another brand/model to consider would be a Hoffman Summit. It's a 6" boot that may approximate your weight consideration.

Here's a link and photo:
Hoffman Summit
0001049_hoffman-6-summit.jpeg

Anyway, I bought the 8" Explorer but don't have it yet (should be here today). Based on the many reviews i've read, y$$tube vids i've watched, and many years of experience with Italian mountaineering boots, i put my $$$ on a pair.

Hoffman Explorer

0000559_8-hoffman-explorer.jpeg

The boot manufacturer is Armond in Italy...look to be the "usual" high-quality Italian mountaineering boot manufacturer.

Armond Italian bootmaker

I bought the Uninsulated Hoffman/Armond Explorer for non-cold weather hunting/hiking here in Colorado.

My cold-weather hunting/hiking/mountaineering boots are LaSportiva Nepal Extremes - very stiff, very warm superb boots (they've served me well in climbing as well).

Anyway, i hope that's helpful in some way....

PS - i am not affiliated with Hoffman in any way...just a happy customer with a pair of their pack boots (i bought the double-insulated 'mountaineer' in Dec 2019 - best pack boot i have ever seen).

Last edited:

These Lowa Z8 boots are some of the best I've ever been in.
Goretex waterproof
Lightweight (compared to my Hanwag SF GTX)
ZERO break-in period. I've had 3 pairs of these boots and none of them had issues.

I've spent months in these boots on infantry courses and by far some of the comfiest boots going. They're good in hot weather and down to just above freezing. They have good support but still feel like a pair of running shoes.