Recommend a hiking boot with the following....

CrankyYankee

Hey all,

I'm getting ready for a fall hunt in WY. Terrain will be rolling hills with lots of walking. I've read a bunch of threads here and have a general idea, but I'd like to narrow it down a little more to my specifics.

Lightweight
Waterproof
Non-insulated
6"-12"
Easy to break in
Flexible sole... not stiff
Narrow/Snug heel
Generous toe box or wide sizes

Gonna be hiking, walking, glassing, and stalking all day.
I plan on getting gaiters
I also plan on getting really good inserts instead of the crap ones that come with it.

Crispi, Mendl, and Zamberlan seem to fit the bill, but I'm still researching. Eventually I'd like to find a store in the S.E. (GA/FL) area to actually try some on without having to buy a bunch and return a bunch.

What say LRH?

Thanks in advance.

I bought a ton of boots and had them shipped to the hourse, Schnee's, Kennetrek's, Crispi's, Zamberlan, and Mendl. I ended up with the Zamberlan's. Have about 125 miles on them, about 25 miles over hills and scree. Even after a bone spur/achilles surgery spent all weekend in the boots, up and down from desert border area, not even a hot spot. Every boot brand fits different people differently. Try them all.

I have settled on the Salewa. Fits your bill and they are pretty tough to boot, hehe.
I just wore out a pair that were my hiking boots for Idaho, turned every day for more than a year, then my work boots because money was tight and that has been more than a year helping my buddy do residential building and remodeling.

I like Crispi boots and have several pairs over the years and would recommend them as a brand. For your specific application I would look at the Wyoming II GTX. I currently run the Attiva Mid GTX for more of a lightweight Adidas like application, and the Briksdal for a stiffer more mountaineering type fit. The Wyoming is sort of splits the difference between the two, gives you more stability than the Attiva but more sole/overall flexibility and a forgiving toe box than the Briksdal. The Attiva Mid GTX does also check most of the boxes you listed, and is a great option especially if you are into speed lace systems which I am not. I wore mine for a few days to work and then took them on a section hike of the JMT and they did great but I have since had to replace the toggles.

Keep in mind that easy break in typically ≠ long term durability.

https://www.crispius.com/wyoming-gtx-uninsulated-hunting-boot

Also Superfeet Trailblazer Comfort Hiking Insoles are my favorite if you haven't decided what you want yet. They are simply the best I have ever used or seen and I run them in all my shoes and boots that will take them.

In looking at Crispi's.... the Thor II GTX looks like what I'm looking for. All the other Crispi models seem to be a good bit heavier. Anyone try these?

Also, Kenetrek Corrie 3.2 and Salomon X Ultra 4 Mid seem to be what I'm after. Anyone have an opinion on these?

Thank you all for your help. At least I've narrowed it down to a manageable size.

Will

The Thor is going to have a much stiffer sole, certainly more so than the Salomon. They also don't have a Vibram brand sole which is probably why they are cheaper than some of Crispi's comparable offerings. I would still go with the Wyoming over these for your application.

Crispis are heavier because they are Italian made and are built better, will give you get more foot protection, wear resistance, ankle support, and tread life.. The Salomons are going to have that no break it feel because they are lightweight and made in China or Vietnam. They will feel amazing on a established dirt trail, but you will have to replace them a lot sooner, and you are not going to be as happy side hilling or on adverse terrain.

Can't speak to the Kenetreks, but as a company they are well regarded. Depending on what style of boot you are getting from them, they are made in Italy, China, or Romania.

Last edited:
Many/most of the higher end hikers will have a stiff sole to aid in ascents, side hilling. The do make a big difference in the mountainous terrain out here... for the better. If you mainly hike flat terrain, then a flexible sole will suffice.
Zamberlans, Meindl, Lowa Tibets, and Hoffmans all did well for me with little break in. The Lowas were probably the longest break in, but did well after a few hikes. The Zamberlan Wasatch pair are my current go-to for rough terrain and took zero break in.
My opinion is thatthe Tibets are the best made but I am in between sizes on them. Size 12, I get toe bump descending mountains... next size up is too big. Bummer for me as I would use nothing but Tibets if it weren't for that.
Whatever you do, wear your new boots inside every day for a while to make sure they work out for you. Once you wear them out and about, sellers won't exchange them.

Hey all,

I'm getting ready for a fall hunt in WY. Terrain will be rolling hills with lots of walking. I've read a bunch of threads here and have a general idea, but I'd like to narrow it down a little more to my specifics.

Lightweight
Waterproof
Non-insulated
6"-12"
Easy to break in
Flexible sole... not stiff
Narrow/Snug heel
Generous toe box or wide sizes

Gonna be hiking, walking, glassing, and stalking all day.
I plan on getting gaiters
I also plan on getting really good inserts instead of the crap ones that come with it.

Crispi, Mendl, and Zamberlan seem to fit the bill, but I'm still researching. Eventually I'd like to find a store in the S.E. (GA/FL) area to actually try some on without having to buy a bunch and return a bunch.

What say LRH?

Thanks in advance.
From my experience hunting in southern AZ rough country for years, heel fit is pretty important to avoid rubbing that leads to blisters. The Crispi Thor II GTX and Briksdal Non-Insulated GTX have narrow heels. I know this because I helped my son in law find a pair of boots with a narrow heel. I know one of your requirements was a flexible boot, but I think you will find a firmer sole boot will tire your foot much less than a very flexible sole boot. Plus, if there are any rocks involved that you must walk across a firmer sole will definitely tire your foot less. With boots you really need to try them on with your hunting socks to be sure they are going to fit, no feet are created the same. I have used Meindls for years but my son in law could not use them because his heel slips in them. He went with the Briksdal Non-Insulated GTX.

Thanks again everyone. As vancewalker007 mentioned... I too have a narrow heel. But I also have a wide toe box. Yes, I can swim like hell!

My hunt will be: hike several miles in with a pack big enough for 1 day, half a deer or Antelope, and some emergency supplies. Glass... move, glass... move until it is time to stalk. Then hike several miles out. No mountains, just rolling hills, brush, occasional small or loose rocks.

I have other boots with sturdier and more aggressive soles for climbing, but they tire me out quickly on longer hikes. They are heavy too.

Keep the replies coming. I would rather have more info than less.

Love LRH!