Recommend a Brake--Seekins Havak

Maybe because they get paid or get them free and there's not enough difference for them to go up to the next level.
That's speculation. Very few get $ sponsored, some get accessories and guns as promos, many get 10% off. I would think MBM get its own brakes at a good price for its own promotion, and they won't change :)

Kelbly's has a nice looking brake that is made to be machined to match your barrel contour. It's side vent and a timed brake. Not sure how much recoil reduction you get, I'm going to install it on a 270 WSM I'm in the process of building. But looking at the quality of their products I'm sure it will do a great job.

That's speculation. Very few get $ sponsored, some get accessories and guns as promos, many get 10% off. I would think MBM get its own brakes at a good price for its own promotion, and they won't change :)

It appears we are both speculating. I will go with the video. I used to do brake testing and had no bias. The results were what they were. Here is an example of one test.

12/6/14 60*
Brake with four angled slots at about 15 1/2 degree threaded on both ends

Today I used the Weatherby Mark V ultralight six lug action without the scope. It has a Pac-Nor 26" barrel. The rifle weighs 5 lb 10oz. The load consisted of .270 Winchester cases necked down and blown out leaving about 3/16" neck. H4831 from WW2 @ 65.0 grains was ignited by a Federal 215 Magnum primer. The average velocity for the eighty-five grain G.S.Custom bullets was slightly over 3,800 feet per second. I fired three shots with each setup to verify the free recoil travel information generated.

Without a brake:

14 7/8"

14 5/16"

14 5/16"

Average - 14 ½"

With the brake installed so the ports angled toward the front:

4 5/8"

4 7/8"

4 7/8"

Average - 4 13/16"

reduction – 66.8%

With the brake installed so the ports angled toward the rear:

3"

3 ¼"

3 5/16"

Average - 3 3/16"

Reduction – 78%

Reduction - 51% better than angled forward

I have no idea how these numbers would compare to a free hanging rifle with a way to record its travel. But at least we can see a pattern developing.

It appears we are both speculating. I will go with the video. I used to do brake testing and had no bias. The results were what they were. Here is an example of one test.

12/6/14 60*

Today I used the Weatherby Mark V ultralight six lug action without the scope. It has a Pac-Nor 26" barrel. The rifle weighs 5 lb 10oz. The load consisted of .270 Winchester cases necked down and blown out leaving about 3/16" neck. H4831 from WW2 @ 65.0 grains was ignited by a Federal 215 Magnum primer. The average velocity for the eighty-five grain G.S.Custom bullets was slightly over 3,800 feet per second. I fired three shots with each setup to verify the free recoil travel information generated.

Without a brake:

14 7/8"

14 5/16"

14 5/16"

Average - 14 ½"

4 5/8"

4 7/8"

4 7/8"

Average - 4 13/16"

reduction – 66.8%

3"

3 ¼"

3 5/16"

Average - 3 3/16"

Reduction – 78%

I have no idea how these numbers would compare to a free hanging rifle with a way to record its travel. But at least we can see a pattern developing.
That is impressive work, thank you

Precision Rifle Blog did an incredibly comprehensive scientific test of the leading Brakes. The results were surprising in some cases. I bought the APA Little Bastard based on this study and have been very happy.
On a CF rifle I'd only have 1 of 2 brakes on them until I came across the Beast brakes in titanium. Either the little Bastard or a tunable BOSS brake like Browning & Winchester use to make that enabled me to shoot every bullet weight I wanted to use from the lightest to the heaviest in my Rem 7mm Mag & 300 Win Mag both were Browning A-Bolt ll's and I could shoot them all day long if I wanted to. It was awesome to have 2 off the rack mag LR rifles that could do all that & were tac drivers I could burn 3-4 boxes of ammo up in a session & still carry the gun back to my truck in the same hand too. The only drawback for me with the brakes on my " Hunting Rifles " was forgetting to bring earplugs of forget/not have time to put them in & shoot. It's a painful mistake I've made more than once.

Put a (Break) on a new HMR-PRO in 300 WM. Recoil is like a 243/6MM. Built by Mark Mueller of Port LaVaca TX. Matches up very nicely with the factory threads and looks. Rey nice.

@ upsidedownjack, I like the looks of that brake. Did he do the barrel threading and manufacture the brake? Do you have contact info for him? Google comes up empty.

12/6/14 60*

Without a brake:

14 7/8"

14 5/16"

14 5/16"

Average - 14 ½"

4 5/8"

4 7/8"

4 7/8"

Average - 4 13/16"

reduction – 66.8%

3"

3 ¼"

3 5/16"

Average - 3 3/16"

Reduction – 78%

I have not checked your numbers, but how do you figure 51% better than angled forward for the numbers you posted (66.8% vs 78%)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.