Recommend a Brake--Seekins Havak

I'm looking at the Seekins Havak in 6.5 PRC and see they don't come with a brake, can you guys tell me what you are using and the cost? Thanks.
I have a Kimber hunter, i had shortened and a factory Kimber brake put on it by Patrick at Navajosmith in Kerrville Tx. Cost was $89. Brake and $125. Install

I run Area419 Hellfire's on all my long range rifles and recommend them. I have used a self timing Beast brake from MBM and it was good, but the self timing system on the Area419 is superior in its design.
I agree with this 100%. Love my area 419 brakes, they are the best; super loud, but the best recoil reduction I have found. Plus, when you make the jump to a suppressor, the adapter for the brake will work for several manufacturers cans. I run a silencerco harvester on my seekins Havak now and love it. I ordered it specifically to use with the hellfire adapter. So I just pulled the 419 hellfire off, leaving the thread adapter, and screwed on the harvester. The harvester was light enough, that my POi shifted only a couple inches, so I can use either the brake or the can with a quick change and a couple clicks of the scope.

I just finished shooting my Seekins Havak 6.5PRC w a Seekins Brake- ringing steel 1/4MOA at 400yds

I love the Seekins brake

Attachments

• 5CFCB7FC-C4B7-4DE2-864C-64CC446056B6.jpeg
    5CFCB7FC-C4B7-4DE2-864C-64CC446056B6.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 157
  • A76593EB-FD47-4621-88A3-03F4A2374ADF.jpeg
    A76593EB-FD47-4621-88A3-03F4A2374ADF.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 155
  • DC9618A2-5FAF-416D-93AD-732371F18832.jpeg
    DC9618A2-5FAF-416D-93AD-732371F18832.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 148
Here's a piece of advice. Use a side cut brake rather than a radial one. ( radial brakes have holes cut all around them. By using a side discharge ( one that vents on both sides) two things become more favorable. One is that you don't have to worry about scorching or burning what is below your brake.(car or truck hood for example) Two, and the most important, is barrel drop. I videoed in slow motion several long rifle barrels shooting both types of brakes and was amazed to see that each barrel shooting a radial brake pushed the barrel down upon firing, except for my 28 Nosler, which pushed it at 10 o'clock. I figured it was due to the way the barrel was threaded because the side discharge would not align like it should have. This will affect your long range accuracy . Side discharge brakes, because each side is venting gasses, acts similarly to thrust of a jet engine pushing from each side, against the other, therefore, stabilizing the barrel. I would recommend using something like the "Beast" series at a minimum and a dual flared one on magnums from. 308 on up.
Good luck with your search!

I'm looking at the Seekins Havak in 6.5 PRC and see they don't come with a brake, can you guys tell me what you are using and the cost? Thanks.
Terminator brakes from New Zealand, I have been using one on my 300 rum and it kicks like a 243. I've tried some others but this is a ripper, and I'm putting one on my 338 edge build.

Muzzle Brakes and More Lil Beast, baby beast, or mini beast 3 port, depending on barrel contour. $85-$90 shipped. There are maybe 2 or 3 other brakes that reduce recoil and muzzle rise as good, and they cost twice as much. Nathan is a good guy too, and makes his product up in Idaho.

If you don't want the brake to have to be timed to the barrel and want to install it yourself, he makes two piece self timing brakes, they are around $110-$115 shipped depending on what size you need. 3 port will do just fine.

BTW, The owner is IdahoCTD on this forum, if you want to send him a P.M. and discuss it. I have his 5 port TI beast on a 9.3 lb all up .338 Norma Magnum, sending 270 grain bullets at 2850 fps, or 300 grain bullets at 2680 fps, recoil is about like a 10 lb .308 win, I can spot my hits. His brakes flat work. However.......wear ear protection. All that energy has to go somewhere, and there is a reason they are called "Beast".
I haven't used one of his brakes but know alot of sharp shooters in Nevada that do. Reason I even said any thing is I'm thinking of making my 06 a sherman with heavy weights and a brake.

@StraightShooter77 and @straightjacketarmory "Shot Caller" muzzle brakes are excellent. First, since it's going to sound like it, in no way whatsoever am I affiliated with them. However, I've had a PVA Jet Blast and the Shot Caller is better. The first baffle is 90 deg and the others are angled back 30 deg or so. It has very little concussion (less than the PVA which is also good in that regard) and seems more effective on the same rifle. It's also a self timing brake and the machining is top notch. I mostly shoot suppressed because, well, it's wayyyy better and in general I don't like muzzle brakes because most have excessive blast/concussion at the shooter. That said, I've shot several types of brakes and personally if I'm going to run one, no question, I like Straight Jackets Shot Caller the best. For performance perspective, you can spot your own impacts on 25x at 200 on a 1/2 IPSC...I really like that.

Last edited:
Here is two youtube channels comparing some of the most effective brakes there are right now in a very accurate manner that shows true recoil reduction. Top ones are the Terminator series of brakes, Muzzlebrakes and more beast brakes, and APA painkiller brakes, with APA brakes usually bringing up the rear. Pretty much all others fall short for the most part when comparing similar size brakes. Watch these videos, most all mentioned here are shown in comparison. It will answer most your questions.

APA brakes lead the pack with the real shooters ("bringing up the rear?" NOT)
1598141051799.png

Terminator brakes from New Zealand, I have been using one on my 300 rum and it kicks like a 243. I've tried some others but this is a ripper, and I'm putting one on my 338 edge build.
Awesome mate. For me, the 300 RUM kicks more than a 300 Weatherby but less than a 338 Lapua Magnum.

+++ for the Gen 3 Li'l Bastard. My 6.5x .284 is a pussycat with it installed. You can adjust the top ports to eliminate muzzle rise. Couldn't be happier. My son has the Area 419 on his 6.5 CM because he likes to run a Thunderbeast suppressor, easy on and off.

It's been mentioned already. PRS blog identifies what the top PRS shooters are using. Jeremy S of Truth About Guns did a large study testing 5.56 and 30 cal brakes. The results showed Precision Armament topped the list. There are many good brakes just a notch below in performance. Do your research and you'll be able to answer your own question.
Reduction in recoil is ALWAYS a good thing for the one wanting to know why put a muzzle break on a 6.5. I use Dead Air's muzzle breaks because a Nomad 30 with the Key-mo adapter goes on all my rifles.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts