Recomended ear protection

goose

I don't use full size muffs because they interfere with (my)cheek weld, at least with my face and my rifles. They just seem to be always in the way and uncomfortable. I have been using the foam insert ones, but they don't always provide enough protection. I'm looking for max sound reduction for my range and practice shooting. Hunting recomendations would be handy too.

+1 MN Hunter, I use the internal foam plugs and the external electronic muffs. I turn the muffs up and can hear range commands and visit with other shooters on the line. The electronic muffs cut out when anyone on the line fires, giving me double protection. When I hunt LR, my rifles have brakes, so I use the electronic muffs for protection.

To choose the correct muffs, I went to Cabelas and tried every muff they had, it took me 2 hours before I was happy with my selection. I chose the walkers game ear quad muffs.

It sometimes takes a little adjusting to get a muff set correctly to shoot a rifle. At least your opposite ear has double protection, if you have to slide your strong side muff up a little to get a good cheekweld.

Hope this helps,
AJ

I do as AJ does, using both in ear plugs and electronic ear muffs which magnify lower sounds and shut out loud sounds.

Except I use the Insta-Mold molded-in-ear plugs from EAR Incorporated. These plugs are molded within your ear to fit your ear perfectly and provide substantially better hearing protection than the foam throw-away ear plugs. They last for years and cost about $45.00 to $50.00, depending on which EAR certified rep. fits them to your ears. Takes about 45 minutes. This is the best measure that I know of you could take to improve protection of your hearing for less than ~$50.00. Many of the oilfield workers on Alaska's North Slope also use these molded-in-ear plugs for hearing protection.

If money is no issue, EAR sells molded-in-ear plugs that include digital hearing aid electronics that will amplify soft sounds and shut down load sounds. They would allow you to hear and even amplify soft noises while hunting, like a hearing aid, yet protect the ears from gunfire by electronically shutting out those loud noises. Be prepared to pay $thousands for their top of the line.

You could do a Google search for EAR Incorporated and then call them - they'll provide you with the names and phone numbers of the closest EAR rep in your area. I found one even in a small town in Alaska, so there will probably be one located near you also. You'll be amazed at how quite the room gets as the plugs are being fitted in your ears. Like breaking a Jewel trigger, or looking through Swarovski glass for the first time.

I don't use full size muffs because they interfere with (my)cheek weld, at least with my face and my rifles. They just seem to be always in the way and uncomfortable. I have been using the foam insert ones, but they don't always provide enough protection. I'm looking for max sound reduction for my range and practice shooting. Hunting recomendations would be handy too.

I have the same problem. At the range, I normally just use a foam or rubber type ear plugs and put back ear muffs or balaclava ( I have all types of materials and thickness) over it.

For extra added protection, you can use a swim cap between the ear plug and balaclava. I learned it from my boys (both are competitive swimmers) - you'll be surprise how effective it is.

Afield, I just use a balaclava with reinforce ear section ... since I still need to hear the game around me.

Good luck!

I use the foam plugs and muffs.

The muffs I like are Remington that I don't think they make anymore. They look like the Peltor tactical 6. They have a cut out that helps getting down on the rifle better. I bought them when I shot competitive trap and didn't have alignment issues.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.