Recomendation for BOOTS!!!!

REI is a good store with staff who actually know the gear they sell. They are all tree huggers, but they know gear. The backpack people are very good at fitting backpacks if you need one.

If there is a Cabelas within a few hours drive, they also have a very, very good selection of boots but I try to know what I want before I go and just try on one or two different boots. I am not sure their staff know all that much about the gear. It is about a three hour drive for me so I really plan a trip to Cabelas carefully.

I should tell you that the Merrells are usaully what are called hiking or light backpacking boots. They are not built to last much more than 3 or 4 years of hard use such as two weeks of hard backpacking and hunting in rocky steep terrain. You have to trade light construction and flexibility for durablity. That is fine with me being as I value flexibility and lightness and quietness in a bowhunting boot.

If you want rockhard, scree scrabbling, last a life time, boots that make more noise than a herd of goats then there are companies that make those and I have some of those, but I don't bowhunt in them.

Well thanks again BB. I think I've decided on the merrel's but I think they will last me a lot longer because I don't get to abuse them as much here in Michigan.

You were talking in another thread I think about getting your boot souls gummed. What is that, where do you get it done at, and how much does it cost?

Thanks again

Go to the store and try them all on, go with the ones that feel the best. Keep in mind you get what you pay for. Good boots will last a long time and keep you walking were as poor quality will end your hunt sooner then you think because of fatigue. You can't beat gore-tex, with good boots and socks you'll walk all day and feel like a million bucks at the end of it. I spent a few years in the Infantry and I always wore cotton sport socks inside of woolies. I put on alot of miles with this on my feet, change out your socks at mid day for some fresh ones. You wouldn't think fresh socks on your feet part way through the day makes a differance but try it. You might be surprised. Sierra trading post has awsome deals on great boots for cheap. Check em out!

A gum rubber sole is a very soft rubber sole that has no tread but is just soft gummy rubber. It is extremely silent.

To get a boot resoled with a gum sole you have to have a stitched on sole boot. Merrells are not that way.

If you have a favorite pair of boots that the sole is coming off of you can have it done if the shoe repair shop has gum soles anymore.

As far as the Merrils tearing up, you have no idea how bad the mountain rocks will eat up a boot but you are fixing to find out. You could hunt 10 years in Michigan with the Merrells and still not wear them out, but out west things are rough on boots. You are definitely in for some new experiences and will enjoy it immensely. It is some fabulous country out there.

Maybe instead of getting gum soles for my boots maybe I'll get some of those pads that go right over your boots. I forget what they are called, or maybe I'll make my own.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.