Recomandation : Bullet seating depth gauge

Cost Effective Hornady Comparator: (I use these)

Higher quality of same type as Hornady:

Really Fancy one:

It's nice when the guy that builds your rifle TELLS you the exact distance from bolt face to lands. Past that I bang my head on a wall. Lately I've been using a once fired round with a new bullet in it, it seems to be repeatable. I've used the Sinclair measuring guide in the past but it makes me bang my head.

Last edited:
I use a fired case, neck sized, split with dremell, use Scotch tape on base to increase the length by about a though, two thicknesses = about two though. Seat bullet, a drop of Crazey glue in cut slot keeps bullet in place for adjusting dies. Do one of these for each different type of bullet you use. Mark on casing the make and weight of bullet.

I have a Sinclair Hex nut, a Sinclair Bullet Seating Depth tool but I rarely use them now. I prefer to find the jam length for every bullet type & lot number and start my reloading seating depth minus twenty thousands (- .020) from that, or at magazine length whatever is shorter if the rifle won't be shot single shot. With some bullets you may have to go even shorter than that for enough neck tension to hold the bullet straight and keep it from falling out of the case during transport or recoil.

Does the nut have holes that are closer in size to actual ogive dimensions? Say .236" for 6mm bullets?
I'm not at home where I could check it right now, but it doesn't really matter.
When you do full seating testing, you'll find what the bullet-throat likes. You can then use any tool, with any rational datums to measure that tested best and log it. As long as you repeat this, with the same bullet, same tool, you're good.

It seems like some folks put more efforts into precisely finding land relationship -than they actually put into seating depth testing.
Just opposite of productive..

Last edited: