Recoil values of different stocks

Edd

I'll take a shot at a possible explanation of how a stock that flexes could result in a higher peak recoil. Basically if it flexes it can store energy by bending and release the energy later by straightening resulting in a higher peak recoil reading. A ridged stock would not store energy.

Is that explanation consistent with the claims made by manufactures of carbon fiber and fiberglass stocks that a fiberglass stock will have less recoil because it isn't as stiff as carbon fiber.

Is that explanation consistent with the claims made by manufactures of carbon fiber and fiberglass stocks that a fiberglass stock will have less recoil because it isn't as stiff as carbon fiber.

Just an opinion and an observation, I think the more ridged the stock material is the less dampening effect it would have. My guess is that the fact that the laminate grain goes in many directions makes it very stable in spite of the fact that it is not as stiff as some of the composite materials.

I cant prove it, but when applied to real world experiences, it appears to be the case, (Laminates are not only very stable but they dampen harmonics and help to reduce recoil.

Just an opinion.

J E CUSTOM

Like alot of you I would love to see a comparison that involves alot more stocks than what was shown

I agree that alot of the cheaper and earlier polymer stocks that just use a durable but not Fiber Reinforced polymer are terrible, they are light, but they are not rigid enough.

The polymer from companies like Magpul is amazing, its very very rigid, it does not warp under heat, it will catch on fire before it becomes soft and pliable.

Archangel stocks also use a very good polymer its another Fiber Reinforced Polymer like Magpuls but it uses Carbon fiber, the Mini 14 stock I got for my brother in laws Mini 14 is great its a very tough very rigid and heat resistant polymer, although not as good as the Magpul formula in my opinion but good in its own right.

Also it would be nice to see what some of the Aluminum chassis, or Aluminum bedded Composite stocks do.

RECOIL VALUES DEFINED:

1. Energy exerted-> at the butt stock/recoil pad measured in ergs, lb./ft., etc.

2. Angle of recoil-> directly rearward (as with AR type stocks) or downward and rearward (as with most hunting stocks, which causes muzzle rise during recoil)

My 6.5 CM Ruger Precision Rifle exerts less energy rearward than my laminated Boyd's Classic stocked 6.5 CM Ruger American Predator because the RPR is close to twice as heavy as the RAP. Much recoil energy is used just moving that heavy RPR with its Bushnell ERS tactical scope and Nightforce mount, Atlas bipod, Anarchy Arms forearm padding, and CTK monopod plus 10 rounds of ammo.

Plus my RPR has its stock high in relation to the bore & bolt centerline so recoil is virtually straight back with little muzzle rise, especially shooting from a bench or prone from a bipod. The bolt of the RPR moves directly into the tubular stock attachment point when worked. This is one of many RPR innovations Ruger made.

And the laminated Boyd's Classic stock for my American Predator is as straight line as possible (for a classic hunting stock) with the bolt barely missing the high comb of the stock. This stock has virtually no "drop" from comb to heel and I appreciate that design feature for both recoil management and proper cheek weld for scope use.

This Boyd's high comb design also more easily puts my eye in line with the SWFA scope, which has a 42 mm objective bell, thus not needing high rings for the bell to clear the barrel and therefore keeping the scope reasonably low.

All these considerations of stock design, scope measurements and personal anatomy can combine to reduce FELT RECOIL and apparent recoil if done properly.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts