Recoil solution

I bought a Seekins Havak Element in 300 Win Mag and set it up with a Tangent Theta LRH 3X15 scope and a Spuhr SCP-3000 scope mount. The whole setup is light and weighs 8 lbs.

The factory Seekins ATC muzzle brake pounded me pretty good on the range. After research, I bought a Precision Armament Hypertap with standard body ==> https://precisionarmament.com/hypertap-muzzle-brake/

Night and Day. Feels like an unbraked .243(or maybe a 6.5)

They claim 84% reduction.

My shoulder told me it is pretty darn close.

Great stock choice and add to that 1" limbsaver air-tech pad and that will make a huge difference. With such a nice stock maybe go for a grind to fit vs slip on.

What I am interested to see is if the improved stock pillar bedding improves the accuracy. If not it may very well be that cutting the threads that small on a 30 cal caused the bore to open up in the worst possible place.

I think it's likely 1/2x28 as I have seen old 300wm with that on pencil barrels.

Unless my math is off that only leaves 0.0740-.0750 barrel wall thickness vs ideal 0.150 for a magnum like this.. The shoulder diameter based on 0.650 od of about the same height of 0.0750 which is not ideal. Its also what makes me think it is 1/2 as if it was anything larger even 9/16 it would have practically no shoulder. Easy to find out . Take the current brake off and throw a mic on it, If the tops read 0.50 there you go.

That is a great idea. I never considered the smith might have made it too thin. While I am waiting for the Manners stock to come in, I'll pull the brake and measure the wall thickness. I will report back for everyones' information. If it is too thin, might have to recrown the barrel a little shorter. I know 300 Rums have a reputation for good accuracy. This one is a disappointment. When I ordered the stock, it is speced with the 1" Limbsaver.

I would consider getting it Magna Ported, it did wonders for my Freedom Arms revolver. The EDM machining permanently changes your barrel but to me it was well worth it.

For my own information, I looked up the mercury cartridge mentioned by one of you.
Never having found the need for one previously, how do you install it in the stock? Pull the recoil pad and drill a hole
to insert it into the back of the stock?
how effective are they? The ones I looked up were mostly for shotguns. My 3 1/2"
Turkey gun kicks pretty good but it doesn't really bother me.

I drilled holes in wood/composite stocks with a forstner bit so it bottoms out flat. Ran a 1/8" bit down to the correct depth, then ran the forstner in after it. Go slow so it doesn't heat up too badly. Shotguns use the bolt hole for the stock so you don't have to drill them, but this is what worked for two of my rifles.

stock hole.jpg

Thanks guys. Good info. We will see what happens with the stock change out first. Patiently waiting. If nothing else, it will make the rifle more attractive than the Tupperware version.

The stock above is a 338 Lapua Mag, it had a tungsten carbide rod epoxied into the hole, it's been solid so far.
I didn't, wanted to be able to remove. Drilled the hole and put in the bar,then packed with foam and then recoil pad. It was jammed in there good and couldn't move. Stock split in under 100 rounds, may have been less. Was a big 7. Should have epoxies it permanently in place. Wouldn't have had to replace stock. Live and learn...

Orange Dust:
On the split stock rifle, was it also equipped
with a brake? Mine already has a brake which is not very effective and my instant ion is to switch it out for and APA unit.

I put a gen 3 APA tunable brake on my 300PRC shooting 230 A-Tips at 3080FPS and it made a entire new rifle out of it. I tuned it to stay on target.

Orange Dust:
On the split stock rifle, was it also equipped
with a brake? Mine already has a brake which is not very effective and my instant ion is to switch it out for and APA unit.
It did not and I doubt it would matter. Reasoning is it is more difficult to hold a scope stable in its rings and mounts on a braked rifle. It might have even split sooner.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.