recoil pads

easton19

I am going to replace the recoil pad on my Winchester Laredo with either a Limbsaver or a HiViz xcoil pad i have no experience with either any help would be appreciated thanks chad

I put a Limbsaver on my son's rifle, it's great. Those grind-to-fit pads are a little tricky if you have never done one before. Freeze it and use a bench mounted belt sander for the best results.

[ QUOTE ]
Freeze it and use a bench mounted belt sander for the best results.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wished you would have posted that a year ago. I put on a grid to fit to be able to keep the extra wide width on a bit of a kicker of a rifle. Looks like heck. Now, I'll get a new one and do the freeze thing. Thanks a bunch.

easton19,

Had a Decelerator on the above kicker of a rifle. Things weren't good. Added some weight and that helped. The Limbsaver made the real difference. I would highly recommened them. And with Crane's technique the grind to fit would increase that recommendation.

if anyone cares...the R3 pads are made by limbsaver, they are the same thing, but usually a little cheaper....

Those Limbsaver pads are so soft, almost impossible to grind and if you press to hard the sander might take a big chunk out of your expensive pad and ruin it. Freezing works great, the harder it is the better it grinds. I found myself re-freezing a few times. I think the heat from the friction tends to thaw it out rather quickly.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.