Recoil Pad Help!!!

With the 3 degree under cut do you do one side then flip it? Could you give us a bit more detail on the miter saw use.

Last edited:
I believe he is cutting it with the stock in the upright position. So, bottom metal side down. With a big 12" miter it would have the ability to cut all the way through with one pass.

If this is the first grind-to-fit you've attempted, it's difficult to get the toe angle correct (sometimes the comb as well) and blended into the sides of the pad without a grinding jig. Keeps the pad at the correct orientation on the belt sander table. Well worth the $$ to get a factory-precise installation. Either of these...

I have a 12 inch carbide blade miter saw. Get it lined up right and off it comes leaving a perfect surface. I wrap the butt in tape just in case to keep from any chipping but never a problem. Screw the new pad on and scribe it and then grind to size on a belt sander. If screws are not an option use epoxy. To add. I set the saw with a 3 degree angle to make the toe undercut the top. The stock will fit better and stay on your shoulder better.

That's what I do with my laminate & wood stocks. I would not attempt this with a back saw - my Dewalt compound miter saw has been used for many projects including stock work. Taping the stock with sticky tape helps to prevent chipping. To get a small amount of negative pitch (barrel angled slightly down) I first measure the pitch angle using a level with stock placed upright on level flat surface, pad removed. Then if a pitch change is needed, I place the stock flat on the saw bed and shim it so I get a 90* angle between end of stock and saw bed. Then go for the 3* or so pitch angle with the heel or comb of the stock against the back of the saw bed and an angled cut in towards the toe.

My limited experience with plastic stocks has involved filling a hollow or foam filled cavity with wood so screws can be used to hold the pad on. Depending on the type of plastic (tupperware stocks) the epoxy might need some kind of mechanical lock. Gluing a pad on means the pad could be destroyed if it needs to be removed. I often re-install pads on other rifles. A good pad may cost $25 or more and may be reused if the steel inserts are not exposed. Pachmayr makes a good cheap 1/2 inch or so pad with no steel inserts.

If you decide to saw stuff, off don't cut into steel parts. The next one you do will go faster and look better.

If I was using my miter saw to cut the stock, I'd use a large piece of Styrofoam to support/hold the stock on its side. Use a razor knife and/or grinder to cut the shape of the stock in the Styrofoam jig. Lay the stock on its side, not upright, in the Styrofoam jig so it is more stable and doesn't move, then align the foam jig with the angle you want to cut. Also rather than cut an angle on the stock, I'd cut the angle on the pad. If you don't like the angle you cut, now you only have to buy another pad and haven't ruined your stock.

I would probably saw all but 1/8" off with my band saw, then grind the rest off with my belt sander.

I just refinished a Boyd's stock. They said the recoil pad was not glued on, but might have been screwed on before the stock had dried, causing the pad to stick. Man! No amount of careful work with a razor knife would get that pad off in one piece! It came off, but left pieces of the pad backer stuck to the stock that had to be chiseled, then sanded off. Boyd's was very cool. Sent me a new pad that I didn't even request.

Vettepilot

I put the stock in the deep freeze overnight, then while frozen I hacksaw the pad off trying to keep the blade contacting the glue and not touching the wood. Then sand to finish.
I also glue and screw, had too many pads come loose over the years.

Cheers.

Wouldn't it be nice if someone with one of those 3D printer gizmo's would make an insert for synthetic gunstocks that would allow easier recoil pad installation. I have whittled/ fitted pieces of oak into the stock to allow installing a new/better pad and/or adjusting length of pull.

Wouldn't it be nice if someone with one of those 3D printer gizmo's would make an insert for synthetic gunstocks that would allow easier recoil pad installation. I have whittled/ fitted pieces of oak into the stock to allow installing a new/better pad and/or adjusting length of pull.
Dang I didn't even think of that. I've got a 3d printer just sitting here! I guess it might be time for some tinkering.....

As mentioned in previous posts, a mitre saw with a very fine tooth blade will work. Extra care must be taken to have the face of the butt perpendicular to the saw's table and parallel with the saw blade. A right angle square used on the table and the blade will adjust the blade for correct 90 degree angle. Well-burnished tape around the end will help with chips. The use of inserts or wood dowels epoxied into the structural foam of the stock to hold the new pad will allow for enough clamping power should you choose to glue on the new pad. If you choose to glue on the new pad without the use of inserts, pipe clamps set on 5' sections of pipe will provide ample clamping power. Additionally, I would only use a Pachmayr pad for my experience with the other brand mentioned is that they breakdown over time ruining everything they come in contact with.

A belt sander will work too, but in my experience it is more difficult to keep the face of the butt plumb with the belt surface. The stock will need to be moved to back and forth to engage the belt on the sander , where as the mitre saw will engage a stationary stock. Best of luck!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.